letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Strange New World  (Read 1768 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Strange New World
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:21:15 pm »

I wonder how many of you here watch the show "The Walking Dead"? My wife has gotten me hooked on it....the premise, for those unfamiliar, is that an unknown disease has broken out and it turns a few people into flesh-eating zombies, or as the show calls them, walkers. If an otherwise normal human being is bitten by one of these walkers, he/she will die and re-awaken as a walker. These walkers are almost completely devoid of thought, consumed by their desire to eat the living...they wander, shambling aimlessly, searching for the next meal.

I say all that to say this: What if the zombie apocalypse has already happened? I was at Wal-Mart today and I am convinced it could be true...a horde of aimlessly shambling people, thinking of nothing other than a) what they are here at the store for...and b) their cell phones. Nobody seemed to care if their buggy was parked across the aisle or if they had the milk fridge blocked as long as they could look vacantly at their phone...a couple of times I asked nicely if I could scooch by and was greeted with either a vacant stare or....nothing. Complete ignorance.
What have we done? :-[
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Strange New World
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 03:04:56 pm »

I think a lot of it has to do with US being somewhat locked into our own little universe. Tunnel vision of life I suppose. The thing is, now we can bring our outside lives with us everywhere we go...which is why you find everyone staring at their phones 25/8. What we are all interested in has changed so much. Awful stuff happening all over the world and news sources will lead with the latest blow up by Justin Beiber.  What have we done indeed!  :-\

chris

• Email
Re: Strange New World
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 03:13:54 pm »

Very nice segue between the paragraphs, by the way.

Not only in our grocery stores and shopping malls, do these modern zombies exist, but in the business world. Otherwise smart, witty, and engaging individuals check their phones for emails and texts in a business meeting without any consideration they might be offending..or ignoring the one who signs their checks

And I love the Walking Dead, for what it's worth.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I've got to get a belly full of wine...