letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Which Beatle is most unlike the other 3? ...and why?  (Read 2234 times)

Greg

Which Beatle is most unlike the other 3? ...and why?
« on: January 09, 2016, 02:10:04 am »

Thought of this one myself.  I've got my answer but will wait til tomorrow.

kylenz

• Email
Re: Which Beatle is most unlike the other 3? ...and why?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 02:52:39 am »

I would say George. The most truly spiritual, in terms of thinking of life beyond himself. The others were likely lads where certain things rubbed off on them and affected them, but George seemed the one that looked at things metaphysically to the core.

Though as Macca said on the 'Living in the Material World' documentary, he was also a red-blooded male like anybody else, haha.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 10:27:26 am »

he was also a red-blooded male like anybody else, haha.

Yeah, I don't get George. Bla bla bla Hare Krishna bla bla bla...but it sure seemed like he didn't follow it very closely.

I think Paul is most unlike the others. He actually liked being a Beatle.  :)

Greg

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 10:56:47 am »

That was one of many drunken-idiot posts.  Anything posted on a Fri night at 1am will be that from me.

Anyway...

Im going with George because he had the most stable and normal childhood of them all.  The other three didn't even come close to normal.  Not even Paul. His mom was away many many nights working even when he was younger.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 11:02:32 am »

I think George hated Paul's guts. There are some interviews where when talking bout Paul, it's like a bitter divorce. This is why I don't get the "spiritual love" stuff from George.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 08:43:17 pm »

I think George and Paul's relationship was very like a big/little brother thing, with George resenting Paul a good bit. I'd have to say Ringo was the most different, in that he truly came from the toughest background, had the poorest health and got the smallest formal education. The other three all saw a lot of time in public school and were very sharp....Ringo seems to have had a pile of common sense, though.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 05:07:36 am »

I think George hated Paul's guts. There are some interviews where when talking bout Paul, it's like a bitter divorce. This is why I don't get the "spiritual love" stuff from George.

That is a really good point and I've always thought that too. You certainly see it in the Anthology reunion footage in Abbey Road. And when he recorded 'How Do You Sleep' with John he seemed to be almost salivating with joy. Not very forgiving and humanist. I thought you're supposed to let it all go and be neutral.

Greg

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 06:24:49 pm »

I agree. Resented Paul's actions and attitude.  Totally.  He probably hated Paul along with being annoyed by him.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 03:38:02 am »

I think it's wrong to say George hated Paul's guts. Didn't he stay in one of Paul's houses when he was dying? Also have you heard Paul talk about holding his hand when he was dying. I agree there was resentment there but it's more like sibling rivalry than hatred.

I'd also say that you shouldn't think because someone has spiritual interests they are suddenly going to be able to control all their desires. They don't suddenly become perfect. George's spirituality strikes me as completely sincere in that he is different from the other 3.

To me they are all pretty different. John would get wildly excited by the next big thing, LSD, Heroin, Psychedelia, Scream Therapy, Yoko, radical politics, health food.

Ringo was the least writer, the biggest drinker, but said peace and love the most, the one that everyone could get on with.

Paul was bossy, the most cagey in interviews, the greatest lover of crowds and the most strangely worried about his legacy.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:30:44 pm by Keri »

Greg

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 07:55:05 pm »

I think George had a change of heart when he knew the end of his life was nearing.  He, for the most part, tolerated Paul for many decades and harbored resentment.  To his credit, he had this attitude towards the end.  Also, I know siblings who do hate each other. Just as a matter of point.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 01:41:05 am »

I don't think it is so simple, it is obvious from Let it Be that George found working with Paul difficult. There was resentment, but George had nothing to prove and post the Beatles I think he only did stuff he liked, he wouldn't have had him on all those years ago and wouldn't have done Anthology stuff if he didn't want to. They had quite different personalities, Paul has a very easy manner, that seems to skip on the surface whereas George is very sincere and straight.

Here's a video of George talking about Paul, it's interesting viewing, George is critical of Paul but he seems quite happy about talking to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCTYXXg9ZZI