letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Paul Kantner -RIP  (Read 1939 times)

kylenz

• Email
Re: Paul Kantner -RIP
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 01:51:17 am »

Yeah I've been listening to heaps of Jefferson Airplane (and Jefferson Starship, and Starship) lately and revisiting a lot of their stuff. My earliest memory is seeing that famous Smothers Brothers performance of Grace Slick doing 'White Rabbit' on a NZ tv show called Shazam in the mid-80s, curiously at the same time she was enjoying renewed chart success with 'We Built This City' (I actually enjoy the Starship stuff!).

One thing I noticed though, every now and then you will hear out-of-tune vocals on the Jefferson Airplane recordings, and they're not coming from Grace Slick, nor Marty Balin (he's a great vocalist) - the elephant in the room is Paul Kantner. And all the way-out groovy solos are played by Jorma. Paul is usually seen just plugging away playing very basic chords and not with the fire that you hear going on in the song. It mystifies me how he actually played such a pivotal role in the group as he is no doubt the most recognisable figure next to Grace.

Y'know what I mean? Take a heavy-rockin' song like 'Somebody to Love' - the band are playing hard-out right? Yet you see Paul, not even playing power chords, just gently strumming his Rickenbacker and barely in time with the prevailing music. Somehow though he made it all work.

Anyway, here's the White Rabbit clip - mastered beautifully here!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9zO1tVnLl0

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 08:34:58 am »

Smothers Brothers was such a cool show. 8) I love the story about Moon blowing up his drums without telling anyone. Too funny. ;D

Oh man...Grace Slick was soooo darned attractive. Jeesh. Hard to believe she's  76 now.

I found this clip while watching your video Kyle. The new Starship vocalist has a great voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEDnnT88A3w

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 06:55:03 pm »

Yeah the new Starship toured NZ last year (only Mickey Thomas but hey he was the voice of that 'pop' Starship 80s period!) - I was sorta half-keen to go!

Hey did you know that Grace Slick did the music on some of those early Sesame Street songs from the first season in '69?!! Man this blew my mind - I used to love this skit so much! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5stWhPNyec

Reading my original post back, it didn't come across as very flattering towards Paul Kantner and it's never good karma to speak ill of the dead. He obviously was a key cog in the band setup, but yeah for some reason he came across as the least dynamic by far to me. The rest of 'em looked such a groovy bunch!

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 07:11:45 pm »

Cool :)

I think it's kind of neat that Grace has a rock name and it's not fake. I mean...Grace Slick?  8)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 07:42:51 pm »

Yeah she was born Grace wing but married a dude Slick before she joined the Airplane..

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 10:22:42 pm »

Also, RIP to Signe Anderson - the original female singer in the Airplane before Grace joined - she died on THE SAME DAY as Paul Kantner..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_KnscgBZc

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 10:29:19 pm »

wow..that's a crazy coincidence.  ???

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 04:54:28 am »

Hey I found this really great early recording of Jefferson Airplane dating from November 1965 - the oldest recording of the band. I really love it - it's surprisingly tight for a band that had only formed a few months prior, and already you can hear how psychedelic the sound is and how groovy the players are - especially the guitar and bass playing!

And it is also in stereo - which is pretty cool for a recording of this vintage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDmH0hVfm4U

I've never heard Tobacco Road done like this before, and man they did an awesome job of it! Makes me wish I was around in this era to hear them tearing it up before it officially became known as psychedelia..

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 10:47:09 pm »

Isn't it amazing how timing really is everything? I mean, the were obviously  a pretty great band, but really, what are the chances of them replacing their female singer and she somehow is also the person who brings to the band their 2 biggest hits?  Hmm...idea for a new thread  ;D