letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Established Bands that Added a New Member and Became Huge.  (Read 1681 times)

2 of 3

• Email
Established Bands that Added a New Member and Became Huge.
« on: January 31, 2016, 10:54:46 pm »

I got this idea after replying to the Jefferson Airplane thread. I thought it was interesting that they brought in Grace Slick and she was involved in their 2 biggest hits.  Can you think of other bands that brought in a new member that had that much impact?

My first thought was Michael McDonald joining The Doobie Brothers. Sure, some would say he changed them too much..but they had hits for sure.

Anyone else have some additions?

kylenz

• Email
Re: Established Bands that Added a New Member and Became Huge.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 12:15:50 am »

Genesis with Peter Gabriel were pretty cool, but it wasn't until they brought Phil Collins out front to sing that they became huge on the charts.

Michael McDonald was a good example.

AC/DC were already on their way with Bon Scott with a loyal following, but it wasn't until 'Back In Black' with Brian Johnson singing that they started breaking America and hit new heights.

Deep Purple when they switched to Ian Gillan on lead vocals they recorded their most memorable songs (Black Night, Smoke on the Water etc).

John Frusciante - once they got him on board the Red Hot Chili Peppers on guitar, he single-handedly transformed their sound and gave them the classic rock feel that took them to that next level of success.

The Human League were originally just an alternative electro-synth outfit and didn't have any chart success until Phil Oakley added those 2 female co-vocalists around 1980 and the hits flew out from that point on (Don't You Want Me, Keep Feeling Fascination, Human etc).

Same goes for Ultravox. A similar sound to the Human League early on - very electronic and experimental, very punk, but it wasn't until Midge Ure took over the reins that they became huge (Vienna etc).

Fleetwood Mac when they brought in Buckingham and Nicks in of course - that's an obvious one. No offence to Peter Green and Bob Welch - both great artists in their own right but wow, bringing in that particular duo just took the band to a whole new stratosphere.

Split Enz once Neil Finn joined his brother Tim - suddenly the hits were raining out everywhere. Til then they were progressive and arty and glammy but Neil brought out the pop hit element and those Finn brothers churned out the hits like a Motown factory!

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 01:20:35 am »

I may take a bit of flak for this one, but Van Halen is a good example of this as well. They were pretty successful with David Lee Roth, but had a completely different level of sales once Sammy Hagar became their vocalist.

Journey is another fine example....well respected rock fusion group adds charismatic frontman. Success ensues.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 05:30:37 am »

Yeah I was thinking of Van Halen - and in a similar way - Manfred Mann with Chris Thompson on lead vocals. I mean, they were already legends with classic songs but that 'Blinded by the Light' period almost made them seem like a whole new band!

And here's another one for ya - RINGO!!!!  ;D

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 10:11:45 am »

Wow..nice job guys.  :)

I'll go with this Ringo guy. That band seemed to go kind of big after he joined the band.  ;)

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 03:52:12 pm »

You know Merv...it's ok for you to mention that guy who brought back a band from the dead and gave them their biggest hit. No really...you can mention it.  ;D

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 08:03:06 pm »

Perhaps you are referring to YES? The only reason I hadn't mentioned them was because they had shuttled in and out so many different members, it was hard to tell. I mean, one could also draw the conclusion that adding keys man Tony Kaye back into the fold in 1982 caused the massive worldwide hit that was "90125", right? :-) Ok, might have been Trevor Rabin....who knows?
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 08:36:21 pm »

Haha  ;D  Hey I though it was Tony Kaye that brought Badfinger back? No...that was Detective. Dang it...bought all their albums back in the day. They rocked.  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBrMIbyOiJY