letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Paul trying to buy rights to Beatle songs  (Read 1952 times)

Greg

Paul trying to buy rights to Beatle songs
« on: March 20, 2016, 12:18:38 pm »

http://www.nme.com/news/paul-mccartneybeatles/92396

I wish he would get them.  I trust him, and his estate, in doing right by them.

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Paul trying to buy rights to Beatle songs
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 01:51:30 pm »

That's interesting because I heard him not too long ago saying he didn't care anymore since most of the songs would come back to him eventually...for nothing. I'm sure Yoko will have some say in this and Kanye will probably end up with the entire catalogue....somehow.  >:(

Greg

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 03:23:38 pm »

Yeah, he has made some effort over the years but recently talked about how he didn't want, nor almost need, to get the rights because they are coming back to him in some way.

I hope he can get them without any Yoko involvement.

John Dunbar, the guy who is kinda credited with introducing John to Yoko, said that if he had set out to destroy John Lennon he couldn't have though of a better way than to introduce him to Yoko Ono.  And this guy loved Lennon and was a friend. 

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 05:26:24 pm »

John Dunbar, the guy who is kinda credited with introducing John to Yoko, said that if he had set out to destroy John Lennon he couldn't have though of a better way than to introduce him to Yoko Ono.  And this guy loved Lennon and was a friend.

Do you have a source for this? I'd be interested to know. There is no doubt John loved Yoko and she was something of a spur for him creatively too. But I think artistically she was terrible for him. Here is a quote from an article and from John about his relationship:

"John regarded Yoko to a point of “just a little shy of hero-worship”. In an interview, three months before he was fatally shot, John said: “It is a teacher-pupil relationship. That’s what people don’t understand. I’m the pupil. I’m the famous one, the one who’s supposed to know everything, but she’s my teacher. She’s taught me everything I f******g know.”"

The article goes on to say:

"Artist Charlotte Moorman believes that “a hundred years from now, it’s Yoko Ono the world’s going to remember, and not with John Lennon or the Beatles.”"

Now, this is utter nonsense. Yoko has the profile she has because of John and there is something wrong with John's judgement if he came to think she was a greater artist. She was i think more of a thinker than John, but her thinking was strident and shrill like much of her work. We've been talking of George Martin whose arrangements were always deeply sensitive and driven by where the Beatles wanted to go. Yoko, even now I think doesn't have a clue what the Beatles were about and for the most part doesn't care.

The quotes I got were from this page:
https://journoyeo.wordpress.com/portfolio/the-story-of-yoko-ono/

Greg

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 06:41:08 pm »

Ive been hearing that Dunbar quote forever.  I cant remember the last book I read it in.

These two Beatle authors bring up the Dunbar quote in this podcast that is a fascinating discussion about Yoko and johnandyoko. 

http://somethingaboutthebeatles.com/44-oh-yoko-or-all-i-want-is-the-truth/

And I am skeptical of anything he says about her except that he loved her; I believe he did.  They wanted their image to be something and would say things to keep that image and perpetuate it.  He was home baking bread for five years raising Sean?  The romantic story of the first night they made love? 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 07:23:15 pm by Greg »

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 07:56:34 pm »

Thanks. I have listened to this now and heard the quote you mentioned. It seems like it's a straight view but oh boy, there are plenty of tall stories that have been told around the ballad of John and Yoko. I really don't find much pleasure in it. It seems to me we don't hear this stuff very much.

I wonder what Lewisohn will make of this when he gets to that part of the biography.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 10:58:53 pm by Keri »