letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cool Photo  (Read 4912 times)

Greg

Cool Photo
« on: March 30, 2016, 07:26:16 pm »

This is such a great pic.

http://i.imgur.com/uwOC9M8.jpg

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Cool Photo
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 10:02:59 pm »

Yup...that's how Paul should be looking now. Except in Grey.  :)

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 02:16:16 am »

The face of genius...
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 09:21:34 pm »

I was just reading up on the Pure McCartney release. 67 tracks. Man oh Man that is a great collection of tunes.  :)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 01:17:09 am »

Nothing is in chronological order though. Nothing freakin' annoys me more when listening to a compilation like this. I may as well just stick all my Macca albums on shuffle in Wndows Media Player..

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 02:03:59 am »

Greg

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 03:08:57 am »

Tracklist here - http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/paul-mccartney-announces-career-spanning-compilation-73421

Nope.

I agree Kyle.  That is not something I could take.  The order of that track list would drive me nuts.  I don't own any cd's or a computer hooked thru speakers.  I suppose it may come out in vinyl, but I ain't buyin it. 

One thing I don't get.  Wouldn't people just get the tracks thru file sharing or copying the cd at the library?  I haven't bought a cd in 20+ years, so I don't get why people buy cd's instead of getting the music thru the net.  Is the quality better when you buy it? 

I just play his albums.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 04:45:20 pm »

Agree on the order of tracks, but I suspect this collection is for people fairly new to Paulie's work and it allows folks who have lost touch with his work a chance to catch up with some of his newer stuff....I have everything here. I don't need another collection.

As for buying the CD......I do like having a hard copy of all music I consider to be important to me. I know I could make my own, but I still like looking at liner notes and stuff.

As a side note: I am also a fan of bands getting paid for their work, so I buy directly from them or their website whenever possible.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 06:55:34 pm »

For a person catching up with Paul's career, they would be better served with having the music presented in a chronological order. Otherwise it just does not make sense. There is no journey to it. He did the same thing with 'Wingspan' and he also did it with 'The McCartney Years' DVDs - he needs to stop employing the same muppets that are responsible for compiling these best-ofs.

When I hear a best-of a particular artist, I want to be taken on a journey of their growth and their changes through life and the context of the changing culture around them. When you remove all context, it becomes a very detatched way to listen to and enjoy music.

Unless you are like fans like us, that know every song and every album like the back-of-our-hand, and can easily go back to our own personal favourites and pop them together in a playlist. But even then, I would still probably want to do that chronologically..  :-\

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 04:12:04 am »

Nothing is in chronological order though. Nothing freakin' annoys me more when listening to a compilation like this. I may as well just stick all my Macca albums on shuffle in Wndows Media Player..

Yeah probably, i don't think they have to be strict as some songs won't flow together so well, but mixing the eras like this is disorientating. I had done a photo album like that and it was emotionally chaotic, I recently ordered the whole thing and it was such a relief to get the narrative back and for that section of my life to make more sense.

These songs would have so much more power if they kept the narrative flow and it took you on a journey. Maybe Paul thinks he's being experimental.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 04:18:43 am »

Perhaps Macca hired Quentin Tarantino to do the chronology?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 04:51:02 am »

Perhaps Macca hired Quentin Tarantino to do the chronology?

Bahaha! Part of the fun of Pulp Fiction is re-stitching the scenes in your mind as they happen - a bit like mental chewing gum!  ;D

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 07:33:19 am »

Ok, I'll go in a Different Direction(another boy band?).  :D  I like that the songs are not in chronological order. Why? Because you can listen to the songs and say..hmm...that 2-year-old song really hold up well beside that 40-year-old song. How cool is that? Plus, if a newish fan can't even tell the difference...that is really saying something about Paul as a songwriter.  :)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 11:17:30 pm »

Ahhh, yes, it's like battling against the age-old story of "I like your old stuff better than your new stuff". I remember the first time I struck this, was on that Billy Joel Greatest Hits double LP from the mid-1980s. It had so many classic songs on it, that when it finally got to the likes of 'You're Only Human' there was something a bit false and sub-par about it, but that's only at the end of what was otherwise one of the best greatest hits collections ever.

Same thing with the Fleetwood Mac greatest hits that came out in the late 80s - it finished off with 2 'new' songs 'As Long As You Follow' and 'No Questions Asked'. They took a fair bit of listening to semi-appreciate compared to all the classics before it, and to this day they're still not really up there with the best. The Rick Vito and Billy Burnette era of Fleetwood Mac I kinda liken to the Hamish Stuart & Robbie McIntosh era of our Macca - maybe it was down to the thin trebly production values that the late 80s brought to the table?

Greg

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 08:29:51 am »

As a side note: I am also a fan of bands getting paid for their work, so I buy directly from them or their website whenever possible.

Yep.  I will go to the concert of a fav artist, get the t-shirt from their site, vinyl lp.  I don't download music legally or illegally.  The weird thing is trying to help the artist.  What is the best way to do that? 

Pages: [1] 2