letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: John and Yoko  (Read 1988 times)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
John and Yoko
« on: April 01, 2016, 04:58:11 am »

Well we've had a thread on John's marriage to Cynthia which is not nearly so hot an issue as his relationship and marriage to Yoko.

John wrote endless songs about their relationship, they talked about it in interviews.John and Yoko marketed themselves as inseparable soul mates, but they had an 18 month separation and by the sound of it they spent long periods apart after they got back together, interesting to contrast with Paul and Linda who didn't seem to make so much of a public statement about their relationship but almost never spent a day apart.

Yoko is definitely an interesting figure, she has some talent and a lot of nerve, she's sassy for sure. But I'm not greatly excited by her art and think her influence on john's was for the worse, I've mentioned this elsewhere, the idea that you've got to write about yourself is not an artistic credo I share and although john tried to review his Beatle work in that light I think his work with the Beatles shows rather the idea that you could write a song about anything, mixing personal with popular culture, circus posters, lewis Carrol, childs art, the book of the dead, newspaper articles, advertisements, tv sitcoms whatever.

Greg supplied the following link to a fascinating discussion on Yoko here:

http://somethingaboutthebeatles.com/44-oh-yoko-or-all-i-want-is-the-truth/

I don't want to dump on Yoko but I think there has now been a reaction against some of the hatred that initially went Yoko's way for "breaking up the Beatles" and now people think that was completely irrational and she was an innocent victim who never knew how rich and famous the boy she was getting into a relationship was and it was all so innocent and romantic, even the heroin addictions.

kylenz

• Email
Re: John and Yoko
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 06:45:57 pm »

Yes it's interesting seeing such historic revisionism in action before our very living eyes. It's now 'cool' to like Yoko, even cooler than liking John. She's become quite an influential figure in the alternative music world. Even Lady Gaga professes to be heavily-influenced by her.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 07:50:39 am »

It is a bit weird to blame Yoko for everything. We could also blame John for letting it happen. He must have sensed the tension. Then again, so must have Yoko.

Hey, all four Beatles wives should have started a band. The Beattleaxes? The Ball and Chains? The Freeholders? The Four Ribs?

Heh....Nope..not married.  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:36:16 am by 2 of 3 »

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 04:19:18 am »

It is a bit weird to blame Yoko for everything. We could also blame John for letting it happen. He must have sensed the tension. Then again, so must have Yoko.

I didn't really want to start a discussion of blame just a discussion. John and Yoko certainly put their relationship front and centre in the public arena as well as in their art, so i don't think you can assess their art without it.

Regarding the break up of the Beatles i think you've got to say that Yoko was an aggravating factor but of course John is equally culpable. It is quite possible the Beatles would have split up anyway.

What I would say is that John particularly sold this relationship as being the most amazing thing but I am not convinced. To me it degraded his art, John adopted Yoko's credo and regarded her as master, but her credo wasn't at all sympathetic to the nature of his art. I also mentioned that together they got a Heroin addiction which again doesn't speak to me of deep and abiding happiness on top of that they spent a lot of time apart. Their relationship seems more like dogma than a living nourishing creative partnership.