letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: R.I.P Prince  (Read 2028 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
R.I.P Prince
« on: April 21, 2016, 04:19:25 pm »

Even as I typed that title, I can scarcely believe it......sheesh!!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/21/entertainment/prince-estate-death/
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
Re: R.I.P Prince
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 04:40:22 pm »

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 05:33:11 pm »

Funny....I was about to post this one too! Look at Dhani's face light up as Prince moves front and center...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 06:26:23 pm »

Yeah, the guitar toss at the end gets me every time. lol  :)

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 10:28:10 am »

I've been hearing a lot of tributes for Prince. A couple of call-in radio broadcasts as well. I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised at how emotional some of the people are. I guess it's just me that that doesn't have an emotional attachment to things like music or objects. Or is it just me?  :P People were calling up crying their eyes out because Purple Rain meant so much to them. Really?  :o

Greg

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 10:44:38 am »

I know man.  I suppose an artist as popular as him is bound to have some very attached fans. 

I'm glad the Fabs are that band for me.

Although...I mourn the death of Joe Strummer to this day. 

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 12:07:46 pm »

You know, when Lennon died, I was not yet a huge fan of the Beatles.....I saw how upset my sister was, but I didn't get, really. Whe Harrison passed, it was so different, but he went pretty much on his own terms....quietly, surrounded by people he cared for. The thing that's bothering me about Prince is that, even though I wasn't a BIG fan, his tunes are all over my late teen years. A reminder that even for us young 'uns, tomorrow isn't a promise....

It also made me think about the day the unthinkable happens: no more living Beatles.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 01:02:39 pm »

his tunes are all over my late teen years.

That's the thing I guess. I really didn't like any of his "hits", though I liked what others did with his songs. Bangles, Cindy Lauper etc.

I really should check him out more. I have a feeling his non-hit material is probably his best.(for me).

Greg

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 07:01:56 am »

his tunes are all over my late teen years. A reminder that even for us young 'uns, tomorrow isn't a promise....
Yeah, that's a huge part of something like this isn't it?  It's like a sign post along the highway.  When I see an actor from a TV show when I was young and they look old it is that sign post that says "time is moving on Greg".  With that being said I don't think time exists. It's a human construction. If it does we don't know what it is.  My highway analogy is prob false, but I used it anyway.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 09:10:57 am »

It's even worse when the person seems so young.....to my eyes, Prince was still pretty young. Others seem older at the same age. A guy like George Harrison, who to me seemed older than he actually was. Weird how, as greg said, time is a human construct as well as a human observation.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 09:41:22 am »

It's funny, I heard a politician the other day say something similar. That man creates its own monsters and heroes. 

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 09:42:32 am »

Even if a politician said it, it COULD still be true! :-)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 12:30:53 am »

The dude was huge for me. Unlike Scott Weiland and Bowie, this one hasn't really sunk in. I was absolutely shocked when Scott Weiland and David Bowie died. In Prince's case, I don't know.. it's like, I'm half-expecting another icon to die?

The thing I loved about him the most, is that he played all his own instruments. I had all his records, well except the first couple of ones, but I did have 'I Wanna Be Your Lover' on one of the New Zealand 'Solid Gold Hits' compilations that came out at the end of the '70s. That would've been the first time I heard him. But very much a household name from that point on.

I lost touch with his music when he became the 'Love Symbol'. But I was able to reconnect with him when he reinvented himself doing a jazzy/soul/piano-based act. The 'One Night Alone' concert is sublime.

In 2010 I finally got my dream to see him playing live, at a little festival in Belgium in the middle of nowhere. We were running very late to see him, and I could hear the strains of 'Purple Rain' majestically sweeping over the countryside as we approached the venue in the pouring sunshowers. It turned out he was into his encores, and I only got to see about 20 minutes of him. He's just a little guy, but he was such a pocket of energy! He was awesome.