letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Sometime In NYC  (Read 2712 times)

Greg

Sometime In NYC
« on: June 25, 2016, 10:57:42 pm »

Went to the Dakota building in NYC last night. 

No photos. On purpose.  I just wanted to be there and not take a photo of me in front of the Dakota.  I just stood there and looked up. I probably spent a half hour just standing on the sidewalk, sitting on the bench across the street, and sitting on the rail of the Dakota.  It was really cool to be where John lived.  I cant explain how special it was to know that this was his home.  His kitchen, his bedroom, his living room was right there.

The night of his death just didnt seem to matter.  I didnt really think about it for more than 1 minute.

This was where he lived.

I will probably never see his home again, but it was magical to just stand there and hang out at Johns home.

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Sometime In NYC
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 11:57:25 pm »

Very cool.  8) It must be interesting to see the area and imagine what it was like in that neighbourhood when John was out and about. It's also a beautiful building architecturally.  :)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 12:50:58 am »

Ooooh I'd be taking photos hard-out! As usual, there'd be no photos of me in it (with no partner to take the photos) but I'd be getting as many of the area as I could!

Greg

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:43:08 pm »

KyleNZ I hear you on that.  I just wanted to walk away taking my memories and nothing else.

2, I did exactly that.  I imagined him walking out of the building and strolling around...which he did.  I just sat there knowing that he'd been there.  He'd been all over there.  I saw people posing and taking photos and whatever.  I just saw all that and thought of John.  I didnt treat it as a tourist attraction.  I treated it as a place to just think about him, say my peace to him in my mind, and then walk away. 
(2, we would have stopped by but I screwed up and didnt get my license enhanced to allow me to go through Canada.  We had to go through Ohio and Penn.  I did get to meet a guy fr NJ I had "known" for 18 years on the only other Beatle Board Ive been on.  It was really cool. We all had dinner and beers.  Really really cool.  So I hope we get through youre town sometime in the next 5 yrs or so.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:48:34 pm by Greg »

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:02:34 pm »

other Beatle Board Ive been o

Huh? What? I thought we were special.  :'(  ;) ;D ;D

Greg

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 10:33:57 am »

I was on that board since '98.  It kind of just collapsed.  When it just kind of withered away I looked and looked and joined a few others.  Once I started here I knew it was home.  It's the only place I go.  I'll go to the old place to check in every few months or so, but there's nothing there for the most part.  I know there are just the handful here in our Beatle family, but this is the only place I want to be.

Maybe if we go through next summer you can stand at the end of your drive and we'll wave as I zoom by.  Ha!  I know I told KyleNZ that if he is ever near the Great Lakes I will help with finances to get him here or drive down to meet him.  If anyone of us becomes ultra rich that person should host a letstalkbeatles weekend in an exotic location.

Greg

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 11:27:28 am »

Dakota.

This is what I saw.  I was slightly to the right on a bench just sitting there looking up.  I was just looking up almost pretending he was there or imagining that this was 1979.

I magined him walking across to Central Park and going down the street for whatever reasons just to get out and walk around.

He was shot about halfway down on the left side of the building.  I walked over there for a second but didn't even go to the entryway where he stumbled up the steps towards the office.
https://ilovetheupperwestside.com/material/media/2016/06/The-Dakota-1.jpg

Below is him and Yoko coming out of the entryway that he went in after being shot.
http://beatlephotoblog.com/photos/2006/01/3.jpg

And...
http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/the_dakota_new_york_john_lennon_apartment_murder.jpg

Unusual view of Johns home from above: http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/55ce11bd2acae76e098befaf-2272-1704/snowedthedakota.jpeg

The exact location of his apt.  Yoko was buying other apts to use as storage units which irritated many of the other residents.  They didnt want their neighbors in the building to be storage units for her stuff.  I guess "Imagine no possessions" didnt matter anymore to her.  http://www.feelnumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/john_lennon_the_dakota_apartment_location_window.jpg

Cool pics of a Dakota Apt.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/06/1-west-72nd-street-dakota_n_1409156.html?slideshow=true#gallery/219274/0

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 12:15:05 pm by Greg »

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 02:44:21 pm »

Great pics, Greg....I didn't realize the Dakota had a courtyard in the middle.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 06:13:11 pm »

that person should host a letstalkbeatles weekend in an exotic location.

So....Kyle's place then?  ;D

Greg

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 09:34:14 pm »

that person should host a letstalkbeatles weekend in an exotic location.

So....Kyle's place then?  ;D

Yep.  Unannounced.  We're just showing up.