letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Controversy Thread  (Read 5814 times)

2 of 3

• Email
The Controversy Thread
« on: August 03, 2016, 04:55:38 pm »

Ok, I'll start. :o

Pet Sounds is the most overrated album of all time.

First off....God Only Knows is a work of genius.  But then what? What worked so well with GOK's just sounds goofy to me on the rest of the songs. What was BW thinking at the time? Hmm..let's see how many minor or weird chord changes I can make? :P

Ok...hit me.  ;D

kylenz

• Email
Re: The Controversy Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 03:03:40 am »

YEP!  ;D

I know we disagree on The Donald, but on this one I am in absolute agreement with you!

Only a month ago I voiced my opinion on this very matter, on the 'Re: 10 Best Albums of All Time(not including Beatles)' thread - http://letstalkbeatles.com/Beatles_Blogs/index.php?topic=1519.0

This will probably sound sacrilegious, but I'm not a big raver of Pet Sounds. Yes, it has one of the most beautiful songs ever penned (God Only Knows), but the rest of it is full of some horrible timbres, especially those 'buzzy'-sounding saxophones that seem to penetrate every song. And I'm not convinced that the actual sound quality of the recordings is that pristine, it almost has that 'coming out of a transistor radio' feel to it - even though it has all these lush instruments on it. It hasn't aged well.

Apart from 'God Only Knows', I do like 'Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)', 'Here Today' and 'Caroline  No', but the rest of them, like you say - they just seem goofy and annoying in their arrangements. I don't count 'Sloop John B' as it was originally recorded in 1965 and therefore shouldn't be considered part of the Pet Sounds project as such.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 05:38:17 am »

Only a month ago I voiced my opinion on this very matter

Hehe..that figures. Hey....if I ever come up with an original thought around here, please let me know.  ;D ;D

I know we disagree on The Donald

Do we?  :o ;) ;D

I don't count 'Sloop John B' as it was originally recorded in 1965

Plus it's a traditional song. I guess that shouldn't matter, though. Scarborough Fair is pretty great.

Greg

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 08:47:51 am »

Most overrated album of all-time?  I can agree, but I will always believe it's one of the greatest of all-time.  Maybe top 30 or 40 for me.  Yet it's probably rated higher than that too too much.

When I read 'most overrated' I thought of Thriller right away, but that has to be part of a generational thing on my part.   

Ive been trying to think of other nominees but cant right now.  Maybe Born To Run.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 08:10:27 pm »

When I read 'most overrated' I thought of Thriller right away, but that has to be part of a generational thing on my part.   

That's a good point about Thriller. The singles were fantastic - that alone propelled the phenomenal success of that album. People would rather have all those singles on one album rather than have to buy all the individual 45s.

But all the non-singles on the album are woefully average to me. It's not like say there's a 'I'm Looking Through You' or 'You Won't See Me' on it - y'know, a lesser-known song on it that is a true gem. Thriller is propped up by MJ's success courtesy of the MTV machine at the time.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 04:48:41 am »

No no Pet Sounds every track is beautiful. This is the teenage yearning finding it's perfect expression, completely unique. Brian Wilson had showed he was good before, but this one shows him fully expressive as an artist.

Wouldn't it be Nice is a teenage dream song, so tender, innocent and just amazing song.
You still believe in me: vulnerable, lots of space, great melody
That's not Me, what a fantastic drum sound, then the change that happens with "I'm a little bit scared..." with the drums stopping and vocal arrangement coming in gently
Don't talk Put Your Head on My Shoulder: This is heart breaking, Brian's vocal is just fantastic, so much space, great strings and bass
I won't go through all the songs
But God Only Knows: absolute undeniable classic
Here Today: Musically amazing arrangements and section changes, one of my favourite pieces of music starts at 1:47.
Finishes with Caroline No: Another Brian Wilson masterpiece.
This album you can just lose yourself in start to finish, maybe only Sloop John B doesn't fit, but that's a very good song.

Keri

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 04:52:21 am »

For My part I'd say pretty much anything by Cold Play, Radio Head, U2, AC DC, Pink Floyd the Wall, actually tons of pop and rock music is over rated.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 03:43:29 pm »

I've been trying to think of other nominees but cant right now.  Maybe Born To Run.

I can see how some might say this.....I am not one of them, however.

I might as well wade in here and add something that might make some unhappy. I recall a list from some magazine calling "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" the greatest rock album ever. Personally, I don't even think "SPLHCB" is even The Beatles' best album, let alone the greatest ever. I much prefer "Revolver" to "Pepper", as a collection of songs....I should add, however, that "Pepper" was far more influential in terms of what came after.

If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 06:10:57 pm »

The whole Bruce thing...I am so biased.  Rolling Stone and Wenner just touted this guy so much when The Talking Heads started, Clash, ...all the new groups.  It was so frustrating to get your copy of RS and see Springsteen covered endlessly and Art Garfunkle's new solo album or whatever.

We really wanted to read about Costello and those guys.

I love Bruce as a person.  He seems like such a great guy.  His music bores me but not millions of others.  He must be great or people I respect (incl Mervap) wouldnt like him so much.

Pepper should almost be taken out of the equation.  What a weird record.  It was so so so so so iconic.  Wasn't it in the top 10 for a half a year?  I remember when it came out and just changed everything.  It was everywhere.  Maybe the music is overrated, but its impact is sometimes underrated.  And we should never forget the debt it owes to Pet Sounds.
Maybe its impact is what is so stunning, and that is its true legacy.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 07:36:59 pm by Greg »

2 of 3

• Email
Re: The Controllversy Thread
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 06:47:30 pm »

I hope you folks realise that I wasn't really trying to put down Pet Sounds. In fact, I originally wanted to call the topic The Controllversy Thread.....just so you knew I was just kidding around. My intent was to spark some conversation. My original thoughts are the same, though.  I don't get the love. But, that doesn't mean anything. If Paul Frickin McCartney and a host of other incredible songwriters think Pet Sounds is the bomb, then hey...they are right. :)
I don't dislike Pet Sounds...I just don't get it.  :o

Also...I think the Beatles are underrated. Yup.  8)

Greg

Re: The Controllversy Thread
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 07:32:19 pm »

I hope you folks realise that I wasn't really trying to put down Pet Sounds. In fact, I originally wanted to call the topic The Controllversy Thread.....just so you knew I was just kidding around. My intent was to spark some conversation. My original thoughts are the same, though.  I don't get the love. But, that doesn't mean anything. If Paul Frickin McCartney and a host of other incredible songwriters think Pet Sounds is the bomb, then hey...they are right. :)
I don't dislike Pet Sounds...I just don't get it.  :o

Also...I think the Beatles are underrated. Yup.  8)

I totally understand your post.  In fact, your post is exactly what I thought you were thinking when you wrote the orig post.  Seriously.

It would be foolish of me to try to convince you of the greatness of Pet Sounds.  Music is kind of like food isnt it?  If you dont like Indian Food then you dont like it.  I love Indian Food, and I just ate a can of Spaghetti-O's.  Are Spaghetti-O's and Indian food anywhere near each other?  No.   I lovem both though. 

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 07:41:52 pm »

The whole Bruce thing...I am so biased.  Rolling Stone and Wenner just touted this guy so much when The Talking Heads started, Clash, ...all the new groups.  It was so frustrating to get your copy of RS and see Springsteen covered endlessly and Art Garfunkle's new solo album or whatever.

I totally can see that....Wenner did over-cover The Boss. Even in the eighties, he was still promoting him as if he had a stake in it. It was really at around that time that RS started losing credibility. Then, it kinda became a fashion mag....

Greg

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 08:24:26 pm »

So here is what I ask...

I basically know nothing of Bruce.  I know the MTV video songs of Glory Days and whatever.  I know "baby we were born to run".  Thats about it.

Give me 2-5 songs to listen to that you have respect for.

Just the names will do.  I'll lookem up.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 09:02:50 pm »

I would recommend almost anything on Springsteen's "Nebraska" album. It's not the easiest way in, but it's some of his best songs and character studies. It plays like a Steinbeck novel.

Keri

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 10:29:24 pm »

Nice to see you all backing off Pet Sounds. :) 

Can't say I've ever listened to Springsteen.
Pages: [1] 2