letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Controversy Thread  (Read 5820 times)

2 of 3

• Email
Re: The Controversy Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 11:02:11 pm »

It was really at around that time that RS started losing credibility.

Oh? I thought they lost credibility around November of 1969 when the first YES album came out...and every YES album since.  ::)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 01:02:49 am »

Oh? I thought they lost credibility around November of 1969 when the first YES album came out...and every YES album since.  ::)

I completely love Yes (at least when they have Jon Anderson in the band). I think the rock press have shown that they don't care about art, individuality, creativity and expression which Yes epitomise, they care about social fashion.

Close to the Edge is musical audacity, more than any punk band I can think of, very underestimated band by the rock press.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 02:01:32 am »

So here is what I ask...

I basically know nothing of Bruce.  I know the MTV video songs of Glory Days and whatever.  I know "baby we were born to run".  Thats about it.

Give me 2-5 songs to listen to that you have respect for.

Just the names will do.  I'll lookem up.

I know this is supposed to be the controversy thread, but I'm in complete agreement with everything said here.

I can see the appeal of Pet Sounds and admire the ambition behind it.

Bruce Springsteen I cannot stomach at all, EXCEPT the Born in the USA album. So those 2-5 songs, I would say would be 'Darlington County', 'Downbound Train', and all the big singles from that album! My brother is a big Springsteen fan and heard all the other records via him, and Nebraska is way too dull and depressing for me.

Rolling Stone magazine went down the tubes years and years ago. It's about as pro-Establishment and pro-social justice/political correctness as you can get.

Agree that all the UK rock bands like Radiohead, Coldplay, U2 etc are way overrated. They don't really have what you would call a thriving rock scene anymore. Unless you're into hipsters with beards, manbuns and banjos and guitars strapped up around their nipples!

And Sgt Pepper I agree is not even The Beatles' best album (I would plump for Revolver or Abbey Road). It's impact however, was phenomenal. Just like its nemesis, Pet Sounds.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 05:10:04 am »

Nebraska is way too dull and depressing for me.

Yeah, "Nebraska" isn't for everyone....I would just say that it arrived at a perfect time for me. I was 16 and wondering what life would hold for me. The portrait Springsteen paints of America on this album isn't rosy at all, full of characters who are swept up into maelstroms that are mostly not of their own making.

"My Father's House" reached right into my heart and showed me a reflection of myself....it's a story of a guy who had an acrimonious split with his dad many years before...it's a picture of regret. My own dad had left our family when I was six and I held my resentment of him close at hand...I am lucky Bruce wrote this song and I heard it with open ears. I was able to patch it up with my dad and had a good relationship with him for the rest of his life.

Last night I dreamed that I was a child out where the pines grow wild and tall
 I was trying to make it home through the forest before the darkness falls
 I heard the wind rustling through the trees and ghostly voices rose from the fields
 I ran with my heart pounding down that broken path
 With the devil snappin at my heels

I broke through the trees and there in he night
 My fathers house stood shining hard and bright the branches and brambles tore my clothes and scratched my arms
 But I ran till I fell shaking in his arms
 I awoke and I imagined the hard things that pulled us apart
 Will never again sir tear us from each others hearts

I got dressed and to that house I did ride from out on the road I could see its windows shining in light
 I walked up the steps and stood on the porch a woman I didn't recognize came and spoke to me through a chained door
 I told her my story and who Id come for
 She said "Im sorry son but no one by that name lives here anymore"

My fathers house shines hard and bright it stands like a beacon calling me in the night
 Calling and calling so cold and alone
 Shining cross this dark highway where our sins lie unatoned
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 07:23:45 am »

Yeah, Nebraska is the only Bruce album I like. When it came out my friends were..."it doesn't rock". I was thankful. Bruce knows how to talk to you lyrically. I'm a Tunes guy, though. I'm always drawn to the melody and I don't really care about Lyrics too much. It's great when they both work, but I don't buy music for lyrics. Sax solos do really drive me nuts, though. Bruce...I'm talking to you! :)

As far as Coldplay goes...they had me with the first 2 albums and then lost me with the rest. Chris Martin knows how to write a melody. The problem is he keeps doing the same one over and over.

I should probably clarify with the Coldplay remarks.  The melody is still there...it's just buried behind big arena sound arrangements. Played acoustically, there is still some nice stuff there. Who knew Eno secretly wants to be Phil Spector. Jeesh.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 10:57:37 am by 2 of 3 »

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2016, 06:56:52 pm »

I completely love Yes (at least when they have Jon Anderson in the band).

I am with you there....I even liked them during the Trevor Years.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 09:02:44 pm »

I'm looking forward to the new Anderson Rabin Wakeman album. I think I read the end of 2016. :)

Keri

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 05:47:27 pm »

Yeah I like 90125, Trevor Rabin has now spent years creating copious amounts of soundtrack music, I have to say I haven't listened to it but it must have given him a lot of scope and dexterity. I'd be very keen to see what kind of album they could come up with.

Jon Anderson has been busy recently with his Anderson Ponty band album and tour. I really like the album Jean Luc Ponty is a great musician and musically they came together very quickly and to me it works very well. I'd love to see them make an album of entirely new music together sometime.

On top of that Anderson has also put out an album with Roine Stolt of the Flower Kings, he's a prominent Swedish neo prog rocker, very accomplished. The album is "Invention of Knowledge" it is very individualistic and I really like it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because it is so iconoclastic. I'll have to do a review of it sometime.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 06:22:52 pm »

I was really happy how this collaboration with Todmobile turned out.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwspoyRdeV0

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 08:27:27 pm »

I'll have to do a review of it sometime.

Looking forward to that!

Keri

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 08:49:21 pm »

Looking forward to that!

You're too kind, it can take me ages to get around to these things. In the meantime you're welcome to read my blog giving a broad survey of his more recent work:

http://kerismusic.blogspot.co.nz/2016/06/jon-anderson-post-yes-with-little-on.html

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2016, 03:00:48 pm »

Keri, you seem to have a true gift for writing....I enjoyed that immensely.

Keri

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 04:20:49 am »

Keri, you seem to have a true gift for writing....I enjoyed that immensely.

Thanks Merv, really appreciate that. I think my writing varies, I was happy with that piece because I thought I had something to say.
Pages: 1 [2]