letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Getting Better when they get older  (Read 1940 times)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
Getting Better when they get older
« on: August 07, 2016, 10:47:34 pm »

Saw this elsewhere:
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160607-do-musicians-get-better-with-age

I'm not overly fussed with the examples given here, I shared a blog about Jon Anderson's later work, I have also really enjoyed Brian Wilson's later work and I take some umbrage at the article mentioning Paul McCartney as an example of someone who just continues doing the same thing. I mean he has done classical works, Firemen and has continued to make new music.

Anyway how about talking about excellent music that has been made by artists after their supposed prime?

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Getting Better when they get older
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 11:58:19 pm »

the article mentioning Paul McCartney as an example of someone who just continues doing the same thing. I mean he has done classical works, Firemen and has continued to make new music.

I posted a link to a Paul interview from this May. On it, Paul Weller asked him about playing new music, since he's still producing it. Paul said people pay a lot of money to go see him so he feels obligated to play "the hits".

I think more than one of us on here has said it would be great if Paul did a few shows of only solo stuff.

I guess we should ask ourselves if these artists are actually getting better with age. Has anybody here heard the albums mentioned in the story? I have....and I didn't give it much thought. But...is it them...or is it me?  ???

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 01:04:22 am »

I posted a link to a Paul interview from this May. On it, Paul Weller asked him about playing new music, since he's still producing it. Paul said people pay a lot of money to go see him so he feels obligated to play "the hits".

Yes thanks I watched that and enjoyed. I don't think he minds too much that people want to hear the hits, he understands. Thankfully that hasn't stopped him making new music.

I actually haven't heard the albums by the artists he mentions. I'm a casual Paul Simon fan, so still getting to know his famous stuff. With Dylan I found his more recent releases depressing, my favourite period Dylan is Blood on the Tracks to Street Legal, I do like before and after that, but that's the peak, like his contribution to the Wilburies.

To me an artist doesn't need to make a better album than their great ones, but they can extend into other areas or develop qualities that weren't in their more famous work. I'm really glad Paul continued to make new music, Jon Anderson, Brian Wilson.

Prince is really well known for his early stuff Purple Rain and 1999 but I prefer his final album Hit n Run Phase two and Art Official Age from the year before. To me they sound more mature and personal than his more famous stuff, shame he died so young.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 05:04:13 am by Keri »

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 06:19:51 am »

Same! 'HitNRun Phase 2', I think is easily one of his best albums - very funky and 'real', difficult to top 'Sign O' The Times' but I would put HitNRun 2 as his clear second-best. Phase 1 on the other hand, did nothing for me. He went back to that vapid R&B hip-hop style. Thank goodness Phase 2 had the songs, the beautiful organic arrangements, and the funky performances. It was like listening to an Ohio Express album from the early 70s!

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 03:32:45 pm »

I know this isn't a song he wrote....in fact, the whole cd was made up of covers. However, I was blown away at how fine Glen Campbell sounded on this album. He was, I think, 72 at the time. Sad that he's been in such a health decline recently, but for one shining moment, late in life, he did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdlRFgT--bo
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 05:29:25 pm »

This is the album where he did all the vocals in one sitting and the band filled in around him later. Pretty great.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 11:54:15 am »