letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Olympics  (Read 2331 times)

Greg

Olympics
« on: August 09, 2016, 11:00:20 pm »

Ive been watching some.

It used to be so special.  It prob wasnt any more special than today but it seemed like it in the 60s and 70s.

I used to like when we would send amateur athletes.  We would lose in some sports because the Eastern Bloc countries had state sponsored teams but at least we played by the rules. 

The IOC is so out of control that its not even worth going into detail.

Taxpayers in host cities pay dearly for being the host.

I like the underdog stories of some of the athletes.

kylenz

• Email
Re: Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 07:09:33 am »

I agree. The Olympics to me were always about athletes pushing their individual capabilities to the limit. Track & field, swimming, marathon, weightlifting, gymnastics - things like that. Now they have professional golfers and tennis players there, and crappy team sports like the rugby sevens - something we are all fanatical about here in New Zealand but the rest of the world couldn't (and quite frankly SHOULDN'T) care about. 

The Olympics this year seems to be more interesting for all the wrong reasons - the continual controversies - the thefts, accidents.. the green stagnant diving pool next to the blue swimming pool etc. I was psyched however for Michael Phelps winning his gold medals. And shame on that Muslim athlete that demanded that SHE should've been the flag bearer just because she was 'an underprivileged minority'. How repugnant of her. Michael Phelps EARNED the right to be the USA flag bearer. End of story.

Greg

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 09:48:22 am »

So 'Sevens' is a game that's played or the name of the team?    Is it a special form of rugby?  I just looked it up and still couldnt figure it out. (I am not a smart man)

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 02:46:07 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_sevens

Different than standard Rugby in that the teams are seven on a side and play seven minute periods. Didn't know that myself...
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 06:06:37 pm »

Hey, we just won Bronze in women's  sevens...so....whoo hoo!  ;D

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 09:29:32 pm »

Yep usually there are 15 people on the field in the game of rugby, but in sevens there are 7 people on a team and it is designed to be much faster and attacking/free-flowing than normal rugby. And a normal game of rugby goes for 80 minutes (40 per half), whereas there's only like 10 minutes per-half in sevens (20 mins total in duration).

Greg

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 10:37:49 pm »

Im going to look that up right now and watch some of that.  Sounds cool.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 03:26:52 am »

Im going to look that up right now and watch some of that.  Sounds cool.

Yeah it's exciting stuff - good rough and tumble! And the game is over with quickly.