letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Album Sales Comparison 1994-2014  (Read 1732 times)

2 of 3

• Email
Album Sales Comparison 1994-2014
« on: August 27, 2016, 07:36:44 am »

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Album Sales Comparison 1994-2014
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 08:02:57 am »

Back when people bought their music......
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 01:34:31 am »

Just taking a different tack to this; the album format has only been around with us for the last half a century, eventually a time will have to come where it will evolve into something else.

Unfortunately, I do not agree with the direction this 'something else' is evolving into. A future where you will only be able to stream the music and never physically 'own' it anymore.

I wonder how long it will be when we reach the point where CDs of our favourite artists won't be available anymore? Perhaps a couple of years? Pretty scary, especially if they don't even offer a download option..

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 07:41:33 am »

I wonder how long it will be when we reach the point where CDs of our favourite artists won't be available anymore? Perhaps a couple of years? Pretty scary, especially if they don't even offer a download option..

I hope there will always be an physical option. I'm such a dinosaur!

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 08:01:27 am »

I suppose we can just make our own physical copies if it comes down to that. However the music is offered to us, we can always put it on something that you can hold in your hands. I'm looking forward to the time we can walk into the holodeck and sit in the front row of the Washington concert. Heck, Merv...you could even sit in for Ringo!   8)  :)

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 09:07:40 am »

I'm looking forward to the time we can walk into the holodeck and sit in the front row of the Washington concert. Heck, Merv...you could even sit in for Ringo!

Not at THAT show....the lad was on Fire!!

Greg

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 02:32:33 pm »

I am lucky by just having vinyl.  But I can afford it.  Young people mostly cant buy $16-$40 albums when they want something.  Plus they mostly cant go to friends houses with their records and play them unless that friend has a record player.

The heyday of records is over.  Not at my house, but the heyday is over.

Im kind of glad that old model is gone though because the public was paying so much for music in a quasi legal  quasi monopoly for their music while most artists didnt share in the windfall of the situation. 

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 07:59:42 am »

That's a good point. Records are still relatively expensive, but the listener gets value from the tactile enjoyment it brings - something many of us have now forgotten about.

The heyday of records may be over, but apparently sales are currently up far greater than at any point in the 90s when the vinyl market was deliberately shut off in favour of cds and tapes. I think that shows that enough people still want to physically interact with the music they buy, and the experience that it brings.