letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Post Btls  (Read 1727 times)

Greg

Post Btls
« on: August 28, 2016, 02:39:14 pm »

Im sitting here listening to RR Speedway. Pauls voice sounds sooooo good.  I love this record.

Anyway...

Why wasnt the music John Paul and George made after The Beatles pretty much on par with the music they made together?

I mean Paul was writing songs just a year or so earlier that were freakin Beatle songs, so why arent they virtually the same when he got new musicians to play with?  Instead of bossing around the other fabs he was bossing around new musicians.   ;) :o

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Post Btls
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 04:30:29 pm »

Nobody to tell them "that sucks"?  ;)

Paul didn't have anybody to bounce ideas off. You need an equal or two to tell you what's good or bad. I'm pretty sure Linda didn't say to Paul...err....Honey, maybe you should work on those lyrics. And she shouldn't...she's not on his level musically. Elvis was. That's probably why they haven't worked together since.  ;D

The 5 of them bouncing ideas was their magic. Plus...having to write 10-14 songs instead of 5 for an album has to be tough.  :P

Greg

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 05:29:52 pm »

Thats what I thought.  ...the 'sucks' theory.

George Martin told Paul basically that same thing before he was willing to produce Tug of War.

And bouncing ideas...yes.  Some have said that Paul and Lindas marriage was great because Linda loved Paul...and Paul loved Paul. lol. ha!

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 08:09:46 am »

Well, I am biased as Red Rose Speedway is my favourite PMC album, but I see it in a different kind of light. 'My Love' is melodically just as elegant as 'Yesterday'. 'Get on the Right Thing' is a better song than 'Getting Better'. 'Little Lamb Dragonfly' is better than 'Fool on the Hill' or 'Your Mother Should Know'. 'Single Pigeon' I think is a far nicer song than 'Fixing a Hole' or 'Rocky Raccoon' - probably on a par with 'Martha My Dear' with that distinctive piano line.

I know all of this could be debated, but my point is, he wasn't all that far off his best Beatles work here. Even if it's a shade of a notch down, it wasn't several leagues below his best. Take the most hated tune on RRS - 'Loup' - it's still way cooler and groovier than Maxwell's Silver Hammer isn't it! I would venture to say it has a similar kind of groove to 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)'.

But yeah - thank god 'Mary Had A Little Lamb' wasn't on RRS eh!  ;D

Greg

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 08:32:51 am »

What was misleading about me mentioning that I was listening to RRS was that it looked like I was listening to it disappointed that it wasnt even close to a Beatles record.

I agree on the My Love/Yesterday point and your others for the most part.

I just started to think of all of their works.

Kind of off topic, but I think Pete Townsends solo album (Empty Glass) was right up there, and above, most Who albums to me.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 03:06:06 pm »

Empty Glass is my favorite Who album! Seriously, I like it better than almost any Who album, as a whole.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 04:09:42 pm »

The song And I Moved is so so so great.  One of my favorite tunes ever.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 04:35:59 pm »

The song And I Moved is so so so great.  One of my favorite tunes ever

Bass line is epic......I recall having the single of "Let My Love Open the Door" and then flipping it over and that song was the B-side. That made me buy the album next.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?