letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Live At the Hollywood Bowl  (Read 3470 times)

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Live At the Hollywood Bowl
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 10:39:08 am »

There are a few songs up on Youtube now and from that, I would say to ME it sounds a bit like a badly mixed soundboard recording.  ??? I wonder what they were going for here. What the Beatles sounded like live or what it was like to be at a live Beatle concert.

The Beach Boys stuff sounds great, I agree. BUT the guy did have a lot more to work with that what Giles had. I would guess I mean.  :P

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 12:54:10 pm »

As I said before, "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" was among the very first Beatles albums I purchased and I played it a lot. I liked it a lot, but once I started getting actual studio recordings, I stopped. Mostly because of the huge, monolithic sound where everything was just kinda 'there', with a huge jet engine screaming next to it. I mean, the performance was good, when you could hear it well, but the girls were just louder.

What I have noticed, with the new re-master, is that things have been separated quite well, so that now, if one listens, one can hear it all....plus, there's a new depth to the sound, more like being there. I don't feel the excitement has been sucked out at all. I had it in my car and, at a respectable volume, it sounds fantastic. The vocals are better and the intros sound like they were done yesterday. My only quibbles with this set is that we didn't get the entirety of both performances like I have on my dutch import and that, as has been said, the bass sounds less distinct than it could. That's a shame, because Macca was ON those nights.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 02:21:02 am »

I had this album, might still have it on vinyl. I didn't listen to it much at all and didn't really appreciate it. But  I got the new mix on cd and I like it, I'm finally ready for it. I can hear the music clearly enough and there is certainly plenty of "atmosphere". i think I now see it as an important part of the Beatles story, the mix of music and hysteria. Those songs and their voices and personalities somehow unleashed this massive wave of energy, you put this cd on and you really soak in it. As Dylan said "something is happening but you don't know what it is..."

Pages: 1 [2]