letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: The GET OFF MY LAWN thread  (Read 2091 times)

2 of 3

• Email
The GET OFF MY LAWN thread
« on: September 10, 2016, 10:29:36 pm »

I get it. I'm old. But please can hip hop and rap go away. Pretty please? Listen, I'm not saying it's all bad or anything. My beef is that ITS ALL THE DANGED SAME. I mean..do people not get bored of the same beats..same rhythm..same variation of the same same?...same same same?

Don't get me wrong. I have the same problem with all genre of music. When you can't tell one country song from the next..ugh. Can you imagine if every rock and roll song just followed Chuck Berry's sound. Every tune just a variation of Johnny B Good? Yikes.

I miss the Beatles.  :'(

Greg

Re: The GET OFF MY LAWN thread
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 07:46:30 am »

Either it is an age thing or rap is that bad now.  Its so derivative.  It seems like it had a time and place but has become an audio and visual cartoon.

Genres seemed to always come and go and evolve.  Rap seems to have not done that (especially the come and go part  :P .  I have always thought of it as taking the easy way out to create music.  No melody, bridge, learning an instrument, etc.

Ill bet the big bands were saying the same thing about rock bands as Im saying about rap.  I dont care; Im saying it anyway.

Disclaimer 1: I am older.  I need to shut up and listen to my Beatles.

Disclaimer 2:  Yes I am aware of some really good new rap out there.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:48:13 am by Greg »

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 03:14:57 am »

The reason can be best explained with this Paul Joseph Watson video (he's brilliant when it comes to political and social topics as well) - 'The Truth About Popular Music' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP0wuwJBdMI

and he uses actual scientific data to back it up how music is getting dumber and simpler.

Be warned though, he does point to COLDPLAY as an example of how rock music is also being subjected to the dumbing down!  :-X ;D

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 05:27:27 am »

Be warned though, he does point to COLDPLAY as an example of how rock music is also being subjected to the dumbing down!

haha! Thanks for the warning.  ;D

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 07:49:37 am »

Be warned though, he does point to COLDPLAY as an example of how rock music is also being subjected to the dumbing down!

haha! Thanks for the warning.  ;D

He did make a valid point about Coldplay though - recently they've done a complete image overhaul where everything is bright colours and frothy pop music with synths and bright lights in a last gasp to capture the 'pop market' - at the expense of the music itself.

Reminds me a bit of that old joke about Radiohead that used to get around - "What's your favourite Radiohead song?"

"They were good when they did Yellow.."  ;D

Greg

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 09:17:40 am »

Wow.   Wow.  Kyle....holy sh**!  This guy is indescribable.

I always feel like the "things were better when I was younger" guy.  It is so refreshing to see this guy say all this.

Plus...his presentation is hilarious.  It is also so informative.  This was incredible.

Hes kind of like an intellectual, and slightly less venomous, John Lydon.

Im going to listen to a few other videos by this guy.

EDIT:  Ouch.  I just listened to the Beyonce one he did.  This guy needs his own tv show here in the US.  He is really provocative and exposes truths that many need to hear.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 09:19:19 am by Greg »

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 09:23:54 pm »

Yeah! The first time you hear him, you think "boy, he is a jumped-up a**hole!"

Then the second time you hear him, it's like "wow if only more people had the balls to say what he is saying".

A very good speaker. Clear-cut and straight to the point, one of the best (if not The best) reporters on YouTube. This is why the mainstream media now have a 94% distrust rate. Paul Joseph Watson keeps exposing them and his subscriber base is now way eclipsing what ABC and CNN can only dream of.

Greg

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 10:21:14 pm »

btw...when I wrote "Ouch. I just listened to the Beyonce one he did" I meant "ouch", he really cut into her.  And it was all true.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 06:57:19 am »

This:

Wop bop a loo bop a lop bom bom!

Tutti frutti, oh rutti
Tutti frutti, oh rutti
Tutti frutti, oh rutti
Tutti frutti, oh rutti
Tutti frutti, oh rutti
Wop bop a loo bop a lop ba ba!

I got a gal, named Sue, she knows just what to do
I got a gal, named Sue, she knows just what to do
She rock to the East, she rock to the West
She is the gal that I love best

Tutti frutti, oh rutti
Tutti frutti, oh rutti, ooh
Tutti frutti, oh rutti
Tutti frutti, oh rutti
Tutti frutti, oh rutti
Wop bop a loo bop a lop bom bom!

I got a gal, named Daisy, she almost drives me crazy
Got a gal, named Daisy, she almost drives me crazy
She knows how to love me, yes indeed
Boy you don't know what she do to me.....

Dang, the Beatles were inspired by stuff like this, yet blew us all away by finding a way to add true meaning in their lyrics. I'd like to think the same thing could happen again.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 07:20:38 pm »

;D ;D

Bip bop, bip bop bop
Bip bop, bip bop bam

Dig your bottom dollar
put it in your hand

Try to hang out
underneath the stand

Put your hands together
gonna see a band

Treat me like a good boy
Treat me like a man

Put your hair in curlers
We're gonna see a band

Take me hair and curlers
But treat me like a man

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 09:07:55 pm »

He did make a valid point about Coldplay though - recently they've done a complete image overhaul where everything is bright colours and frothy pop music with synths and bright lights in a last gasp to capture the 'pop market' - at the expense of the music itself.

I don't disagree actually, but I still think there are good songs there buried in production. Every popular band will get to a point where it's somehow cool to hate on them. Lots of people hate the Beatles. I think( and this is just me of course) that if you strip down a song and it sounds good...it's a good song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKEGW93qXOI

Greg

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 07:08:38 am »

Yes.  REM went through this.  Great band who (somewhat deserved) got a lot of flak at one point in their career.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 05:22:41 pm »

I do it too. I joke all the time about hating Nickleback, but in reality, I only know what is played on the radio. It's possible that there are a lot of great songs as album tracks that I've never heard.  :-X