letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Something from Crowded House  (Read 1457 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Something from Crowded House
« on: October 28, 2016, 07:13:44 pm »

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/afternoons/audio/201821694/the-original-demo-version-of-don't-dream-it's-over

I'm such a sucker for these kinds of things: Original demo for "Don't Dream It's Over".....Fast-forward to 4:35 to skip the DJ stuff.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Something from Crowded House
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 09:26:22 pm »

Very Cool...thanks!  :)

Greg

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 10:04:23 am »

I hadnt heard that song in years and years.  like 20 or more.

Wow, that was beautiful.

I just remember it as some 80s tune that I didnt know who did it.  Around this time I tuned out of chart music for whatever reasons.  I also didnt like the big blast of the snare drum that many of those 80s songs used.  I dont know what it was, but the recording technique of the snare drum on much of the radio in the mid 80s turned me off.

Anyhow, hearing this tune makes me realize what a great tune it is.  I like whatever Ive heard from Crowded House and didnt even know they did this until now.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 12:01:41 pm »

That effect on the snares of the 80's, most of them anyway, was a gated reverb. The gate would only pass thru the peak of the sound, pack it in reverb, and the cut the sound off as soon as the level dropped below a pre-selected value.....Phil Collins' stuff is full of that. Because he had big hits, so was everyone's.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?