Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Stones  (Read 1632 times)

Greg

Stones
« on: November 16, 2016, 09:42:12 pm »

I was looking at Alistair Taylors first book again, and he said that the Rolling Stones didnt stand for the British national anthem at the premier of A Hard Days Night in 64.  They slouched in their seats and wouldnt get up for it.

I thought that was weird.  That was a long time ago when people were more likely to throw a fit at such an action.

Also....they did it for no reason other than shock value apparently.   ???

Shame...at least the athletes today are trying to bring attention to some important social issues whether people agree with their actions or not.

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Stones
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 06:38:44 am »

It's interesting how different countries feel about patriotism. I remember a time when the Guess Who were on a tv show in the US and they had a Canadian Flag draped over a piano. They got hundreds of nasty letters because part of the flag was touching the ground. Another time some goobers decided to burn the Canadian flag( I don't remember why). They outcry from Canadians was more "jeeze...they just wasted like 50 bucks eh?"
There was a recent story at an NHL game where they were singing the national anthems (this game was in Toronto) and during the singing of the American anthem, the sound system broke down. The crowd pitched in a sang the tune instead. It made the US news because they thought it was cool that Canadians knew the words to the anthem. It's all good right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHSaHRd4Q48

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 06:25:16 pm »

I may be an outlier here....

My personal feelings concerning being patriotic are entirely connected to the place I live, the United States. I do stand with hand over heart during the anthem at events and respect all those symbols stand for, but ultimately we are truly represented by the phrase "We the People". I don't get upset if someone decides not to stand during the anthem....that's up to them. If someone burns a flag, that's up to them.

I still get goosebumps during the anthem....it reminds me of the things it stands for and principles I believe. However, I also get goosebumps during the Abbey Road medley. It reminds me of other things I love.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 10:45:55 am »

2...that to me seems like a classic Canadian view on this subject.  I love it.

Mervap you prob are an outlier from what I see.  It seems most people throw a fit if you dont bow to the almighty red white and blue.  Others have pretty much no regard for the flag.  ...and these two groups are somewhat offended by each others beliefs.  You have a cool attitude in that you respect someone elses beliefs like that.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 10:58:40 am »

It's like when somebody says "the Beatles are so overrated". You don't get mad at them. You just shrug your shoulders and wonder if they were dropped on their head as a baby.  ;)  ;D

I have a guy at work who thinks Ringo is the worst drummer in the history of recorded music and that Clapton is a hack. What do you say to that?  :o  He's also in a Prog band and has never heard a YES album...ever.

Hmm...I'll check for a head injury on Monday.  ;D

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 05:38:29 pm »

I have a guy at work who thinks Ringo is the worst drummer in the history of recorded music and that Clapton is a hack. What do you say to that?  :o  He's also in a Prog band and has never heard a YES album...ever.

The poor guy, has he sought help? I hope you treat him with the sympathy he deserves.

Seriously though, that is odd. Yes are for me the epitome of Prog, to not even have listened to them! If your assessment of his views is correct regarding Ringo then that's a very reactionary position.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 12:09:19 am by Keri »