letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: The NEW Releases Thread  (Read 3012 times)

2 of 3

• Email
The NEW Releases Thread
« on: June 04, 2016, 10:10:01 am »

I thought a dedicated thread for new music would be a good idea.

NEW Eric Clapton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gKPuxV3MkY

New Paul Simon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3crKHaBdy4

New Garbage. Shirley you like Garbage.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSa_hbutFt0

kylenz

• Email
Re: The NEW Releases Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 05:32:13 am »

Thumbs DOWN to all three.  :P

The new Eric Clapton is safe and dull. I personally don't think he's done anything great since 1977, and he's stuck to a really safe-and-dull route especially since that godawful Unplugged album featuring that rendition of 'Layla', to which Pete Townshend once commented "if I ever hear that bossanova version of Layla once again, I think I'm gonna fucking scream!"

This is the funny thing about Clapton - he's best-known for his period with Cream, but both he and Ginger Baker were well-known for DESPISING heavy and psychedelic music - the basis of Cream's sound!

I've been listening to tonnes of The Yardbirds lately, but it wasn't until Jeff Beck took Clapton's spot that the band actually made anything really cool and interesting. Prior to Beck, they were just your regular British rhythm & blues band. They had a massive hit with 'For Your Love' which Clapton hated, and left because of the melodic pop direction they were taking. Then Jeff Beck came in and took them on some groovy new directions, especially pioneering feedback on recordings as a musical and creative tool - like this one done in 1966, a whole year before Hendrix - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAVuOQ7Z4WU

There's no way they could've done that with Clapton still onboard.

With Paul Simon, it's like with every review for any Paul Simon album post-2000, it's always like: "Paul Simon is using brave new textures and sounds, creating music in a way no one has ever heard before" - and you hear it and it's just the same old souffle from the same old cafe, reheated with a pinch of added salt to momentarily disguise the bland shite taste in your mouth.

The new album unfortunately is the same boring songs overlaid with the same nonchalant pitter-patter percussion thing he's been obsessed with ever since the likes of Graceland. And when the song isn't percussion-driven, it's some dreary acoustic guitar thing. The reviews always say that he's going on some 'bold new sound' (I remember the initial reviews for The Rhythm of the Saints were like that) but the fact is, his songs in 30 years have simply not measured up to what he did with Art Garfunkel.

And the new Garbage album has one FANTASTIC song - 'Empty' - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSa_hbutFt0 - easily right up there with the best songs they've ever done. The rest of the album - unbelievably dull and lacks  a varied timbral palette. After falling in love with 'Empty', I was expecting something right up there as great as their 1995 debut.. but it's just a swampy concoction of string pads song-after-song.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 08:31:18 am »

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 08:34:27 am »

NEW  Richard Ashcroft - This Is How It Feels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36V2FjRSHQc

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 08:39:32 am »

NEW The Stone Roses- All For One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0XZ9qjMil8

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 11:27:24 am »

I"ll throw this out to everyone.

Is it THEM or is it US?

Every artist seems to have a period of time where they can do no wrong. Their output is crazy and the material is all very strong. It's what makes them. They are now legends. You'd think this would be a good thing right? But, then you have to keep it up. Once you start releasing material and the general fan base say...hmm...that's not as good as(insert album)...you are done. You'll have a small devoted fan base that will say...oh wow! The new album is fantastic! But in general...most people could care less. I know I do this. I'm excited to hear a new Paul album but then equally unexcited after hearing it. It's not as good. It's still good of course. Just...not as good.
Anyway, Kyle, this is what I thought after you posted your reviews of the NEW music of Clapton and Simon and Garbage. I totally agree. But...who changed? Them or us?  :o

Greg

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 07:43:30 pm »

Is it THEM or is it US?

Every artist seems to have a period of time where they can do no wrong.

This is good once again 2. (And I am getting tired of complimenting you.  I might criticize you soon for no reason.)

Anyway.  I dont think its us.  It might be to a point though.  But most artists have that period of time that is magic. 

Paul was that way for me.  From 70 to the mid-80s he could do no wrong.  I know this is just one artist, but I would say that his stuff from 70-84+ was great.  1985-2016??? Does not compare.  Yet, as 2 stated, is it us?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 02:25:51 am »

Is it THEM or is it US?

Every artist seems to have a period of time where they can do no wrong.
But most artists have that period of time that is magic. 

Paul was that way for me.  From 70 to the mid-80s he could do no wrong.  I know this is just one artist, but I would say that his stuff from 70-84+ was great.  1985-2016??? Does not compare.  Yet, as 2 stated, is it us?

YES! I remember when I joined 'another Macca forum', and of course I waxed lyrical on all the Beatles and Wings albums, but then I gave my opinions on Off The Ground, Flaming Pie, and Driving Rain - all very scathing and unapologetically so. I felt they were largely the trappings of a middle-aged rocker going through the motions. Of course there are always one or two good songs on every album, but Your Loving Flame is no Let It Be, Biker Like An Icon is no Can't Buy Me Love, and The World Tonight is no Jet.

As a Macca fan, I am still a realist. I think 'New' and Chaos and Creation' have been better efforts in recent years, but even then, I still don't think you could put them up with Band on the Run.. not even Red Rose Speedway, let alone Revolver or Sgt Pepper.

Greg

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 05:54:06 am »

KyleNZ: I felt they were largely the trappings of a middle-aged rocker going through the motions.

I have to go to work now, but yes.  This makes sense to me, and I could add more if I didn't have to get up right now.  It seems like he was just drifting and just trying to write who knows what on most of that stuff.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 07:16:13 am »

KyleNZ: I felt they were largely the trappings of a middle-aged rocker going through the motions.

I have to go to work now, but yes.  This makes sense to me, and I could add more if I didn't have to get up right now.  It seems like he was just drifting and just trying to write who knows what on most of that stuff.

Yes. Right now I'm watching a music documentary called 'Soundbreaking' (it's pretty good, there's a whole section on George Martin & The Beatles and they interview GM and Ringo), and there's a piece on Rick Rubin recording Johnny Cash. Johnny had been like you say, literally drifting through the 70s and 80s playing gig-after-gig, album-after-album, and going nowhere. But Rick Rubin sat him down with an acoustic guitar, and got him to sing songs Johnny remembered from his childhood. Then he later got Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers to back him. And they also covered Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden songs (Soundgarden was my #1 album here). It turned out to be a fruitful and extraordinary comeback for Johnny Cash, but until that point he had been just drifting and going through the motions.

Is Paul Simon doing this? I'm not sure if that's the case. Don't get me wrong, he still has a knack for a biting turn-of-phrase - lyrically he is still delivering. On the album 'Surprise', you could tell that yes, he was trying new ideas musically in a recording sense. But the end result? At the end of the day, we are forever going to compare it to his earlier work. Simon & Garfunkel of course is sublime (I'd throw 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' into the hat for a collective Top 10 here). Early solo Paul Simon is so good - there's some good stuff even on Still Crazy After All These Years, and Late in the Evening a bit later. Graceland of course was a high point in his career. But fast forward 30 years later.. has he even had another 'You Can Call Me Al' in the last 10 years? He seems to be delivering and his fans genuinely still love it (I know some people that absolutely LOVE 'So Beautiful Or So What' - it bored the hell out of me).

But it's a bit like me saying "oh I really loved that last Macca album "NEW" - he's still got it" - and someone else coming along and saying "no way, he's past it, he sounds like a croaky old man now on most of those songs". Is there a right or wrong answer? It's all a matter of perspective. Once you step outside the circle of fandom and loyalty, it becomes a different proposition.

2 of 3

• Email
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:19:28 pm by 2 of 3 »

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 08:34:19 pm »

Lindi Ortega

I heard this on the radio today and thought it was a cover of an old song. Turns out it's a new tune. Sure sounds like an old country tune to me. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDfdIoV745g

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 02:04:32 pm »

New Kate Bush Live album just released. No footage though..grrr

Oldy but Goody.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UBiNYLizE8

I still can't figure out why she isn't my wife.  :P

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 04:36:55 pm »

I still can't figure out why she isn't my wife.  :P

Proximity, dude.....that's all.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 04:54:29 pm »

;D