letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Records  (Read 1823 times)

Greg

Records
« on: January 08, 2017, 08:11:29 pm »

The amount spent by music enthusiasts on digital downloads last year stood at $2.1 million as the purchase of records from markets brought in a total of $2.4 million.

I spent $0 on digital music.  $100s on albums.  But I'm old...er.  But still...

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Records
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 03:42:28 pm »

I did spend more on digital media last year than any previous year, but I also bought more new vinyl last year than, maybe, since the 80's....
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 04:40:28 pm »

Wait.  People bought two-million dollars worth of music digitally in the whole year?  I need to look this up again or something.

Greg

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 04:46:39 pm »

I copied the orig post from an article I was reading.

But...I just looked it up from further sources.  Vinyl was $400+ million in 2015 worldwide.
$3 billion in digital downloads for 2016.

So there goes my orig post.  Carry on with what you were doing.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 05:26:03 am »

I buy CDs, They're digital eh?

Greg

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 10:22:25 am »

I don't know how they count those.  Theyre amphibious/omnivores/dual-sport athletes/bisexual.  They are digital music yet physical copies of digital music.

Greg

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 12:08:53 pm »

Varietynewsclub article.

If someone told you 10 years ago that Vinyl would become a billion-dollar industry by the end of 2017, what would you say? If the answer is somewhere along the lines of “no way,” you should probably check out the data compiled by Deloitte and reported by the Financial Times.  It’s interesting to note that this number of $1 billion hasn’t been surpassed for vinyl ever since the ‘80s during its golden era. As pointed out by The Vinyl Factory, the renewed interest in vinyl is continuing to grow at an unbelievable rate. BuzzAngle Music analytics service has compiled similar data in its yearly report on US music consumption. As it shows, vinyl sales rose 26% in 2016.

Once you put plummeting physical album sales into the equation, vinyl’s resurgence becomes even more puzzling and astonishing, considering how much customers have begun to gravitate toward streaming services. As Paul Lee, head of technology, media, and telecoms at Deloitte, notes, “Consumers are choosing to buy something tangible and nostalgic and at a price point that provides record companies with significant revenues.”

Vinyl is expect to once again record double digit growth in 2017, which would make the seventh consecutive year this has happened. An estimated 40 million records will be sold, which might push the industry over the $1 billion mark (along with the sales of turntables and other listening accessories) by the end of the year.