letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Macca's 2017 One on One Tour  (Read 2973 times)

JennyWren

Macca's 2017 One on One Tour
« on: April 26, 2017, 02:16:38 pm »

Just scored tickets for a  concert in July.  Used the fan pre-order mechanism which was a nightmare. Took me 4 hours to grab a ticket, so not entirely happy with the location I got. Might have done better waiting for the general sale, but who knows, maybe this was the best I could do.....

Anyway, very excited. I've seen him only once, in 2005, and this is likely my last opportunity.  I know it will be awesome...because it's Macca! Young or old, I love him!

Greg

Re: Macca's 2017 One on One Tour
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 04:37:58 pm »

Thats very cool.  Ive never seen him.  Had many chances to but never felt the inclination.
That will be cool for you to see him twice over a twelve year period and be able to relate the two.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 07:44:27 pm »

Good luck, Jenny! I've seen Paul twice and a great time was had by all both times....
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

JennyWren

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:33:52 pm »

Hey, Merv, it's good to see you again.....I'm the JennyWren that was on the old boards in the good old days. When I saw Macca last before, it was like being at a great party, and I expect it will be so again.

Hi, Greg, yeah, it will be interesting to see how things have changed for Macca in 12 years. His voice likely will not be the same, but I expect his enthusiasm will be unchanged given how much he enjoys doing live shows. He has a day or 2 off between dates, so that will give his voice some time to recover.

A good time will be had by all, I'm sure. ????

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 02:19:09 am »

I too have never seen him, but certainly haven't had many chances. It would be good even though the idea of really big concerts doesn't appeal to me. It's cool that he still gets out there.

JennyWren

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 09:32:04 am »

Show report!!

I Saw Macca last night. OMG.  Totally amazing. Even better than the last time I saw him in 2005.

His voice was amazing, also even better than in 2005. He was doing lots of the loud, raspy vocally-challening stuff he does, yet he still was able to hit the high notes. I was surprised at how good his voice was. Only near the end of the 3-hour show did I  notice some vocal breaks. Impressive.

The highlights for me were the jams they added to the end of Let Me Roll It and I've Got a Feeling. Each several minutes long. They gathered between Abe and Wix and the 5 of them went at it with no vocal. Really trippy stuff where you get lost in the music and everything else fades away. Very special moments, those. Could have listened to that all night.

Many of the tunes were the same he's done for years, but quite a lot of newbies, as well. Set list was the same as posted for the other 2017 shows he's done.

I can't believe he's still doing a 3-hour show. I was exhausted just from standing and dancing and singing. They're doing all the work. Don't know now they can do it several times a week. Especially Abe....he pounds those drums!! He's gotta be exhausted after a show. And Macca, of course.....it's amazing he can do that. His tunes aren't easy.....he (and all of them) work hard.

He's letting his hair go a little grey.  :)

Now, of course, I'm sad because it's over. What a letdown. But how awesome that nothing disappointed and Macca was on top of his game. It was amazing.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:54:42 am by JennyWren »

JennyWren

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 10:06:55 am »

Oh, three more things.

No grand entrance like is 2005. Then, he was behind a scrim, with his Hofner, his larger than life shadow projected to audience before he appeared. That was dramatic and awesome. Last night, he just walked on from the side of the stage with the other guys. Much more casual and home-y. I liked both approaches, but I think I prefer the dramatic one.  Seeing his shadow, knowing he would appear any second, made heart race with anticipation.  :)

Thing #2: The visual effects were awesome. Very cool lighting effects that played around the whole arena. Awesome images on the scrim.

Thing3#: Local critics disagreed with me about his voice.They cited his week voice, but I strongly disagree. I thought his voice was spectacular.  Strong and hitting notes throughout the show. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 05:24:44 pm by JennyWren »

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 05:10:12 pm »

So glad you had such a wonderful time!!!
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 09:45:29 pm »

Pretty cool. Thanks for the review. :D

It is pretty crazy that at 75, he's doing a 3 hr show and has to sing every song. I wonder if Bruce will still be doing it at his age.

JennyWren

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 06:54:22 am »

2 of 3, yeah, cool, right? And not only did he sing for 3 hours, he sang well for 3 hours. That knocked my socks off.

Another magic moment: after 3 or so songs, when everyone was cheering and hollerring and clapping and stomping - making a lot of noise-, he stopped and said You guys are amazing, let me just take this in. And he stood there and looked at the whole house while a spotlight scanned the arena while all of us continued to holler and applaud. Showmanship, yeah, but there must be some truth in it, too. It's easy to be an icon when your 20, 30, 40 years old, but to see that people are still filling the house and are thrilled to be there when you're 75, gosh, that's something. I think even Macca recognizes that. He seemed to be thrilled to be there, too. No sign of boredom, he's still giving his all. He's not just phoning it on, he's bringing it.

The people next to me were 30-ish years old, and they were impressed, too, thought it was a great show. It was fun to spend a few minutes after the show sharing our Wows.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:13:48 pm by JennyWren »

Greg

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 09:56:12 am »

I'll say this.  That review was great.  It was more than great.  I dont know why I was so enthralled by your review, but you somehow captured what it must have been like to see his show in exactly the was Id imagine being at one of his shows.

Seriously, nice job on those posts.  You conveyed the joy and excitement of what it must have been like if Id seen him.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:43:39 pm by Greg »

JennyWren

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 05:28:10 pm »

Aw, thanks, Greg.  It's so difficult to convey what it was like to be there. I think I witnessed not  just another Macca concert, but a very magical one indeed. One in which Macca and the audience came together and created something special.

I read the reviews on the Macca board, and all agree Omaha was a great night. One poster who goes to a a lot of shows said his voice in Omaha was better than she's heard in years. That supports my opinion that his voice was better than when I saw him in 2005.

Another poster said this show was in the top 3 of the many she's seen. The other 2 in her top 3 are a 1976 show and a 1993 show. That this show compares well to a 1976 show....well, that just boggles the mind, right?

Something magical happened in Omaha, and I'm so grateful I was there. It still gives me chills when I think about it. I'm so grateful that I've had a lifetime to witness Macca's talent. He is something special indeed, and I think he loves that we get it, and he loves sharing it with us.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 06:11:55 pm »

It looks like there was a Live Stream of that show, so I'm sure some quality footage will show up on Youtube or elsewhere. Here's a bit footage from the crowd. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5zPG15R5X0

JennyWren

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 06:43:47 pm »

Cool, 2 of 3, thanks for the link. ???? Watching it gave me chills.

At the beginning, you can see a bit of the cool light effects that are done in the show.

His voice seemed such better in person than in this clip. But as I'm sure you know, the sound quality of the clip is poor.

I was about 20 feet to the right of Rusty and about 5 feet in front of him. Side section, first row. That's because the morning of the show I decided to give a friend my original seat that was 2/3 of the way back, and I bought a great seat that had just opened up. Yeah, I know, I'm crazy, but I'm so glad I got the better seat.

ETA: oooh, there are a lot of Omaha clips on You Tube! The Live and Let aDie clip is cool.  8)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:28:11 pm by JennyWren »