letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Current  (Read 1759 times)

Greg

Current
« on: August 24, 2017, 12:57:30 pm »

Two things.  People are arguing over statues and marches.  I dont know much about whats going on but Ive seen some headlines basically.
The root causes of all this bs probably arent being addressed.  If people have satisfying lives then they prob arent as inclined to conflict so much.

Second.  A guy stayed at our house (if you havent heard of http://www.couchsurfing.com then check it out.)  He biked thru Iran and Iraq and through my peninsula up here on L. Superior.  He said that there is no difference.  The people are great.  They are peaceful and helpful.  Yet the impression is that we have enemies who are violent.  How come millions of us, prob 99%, would be cool with each other, yet there is support for war and hate?

Thx for listening. 

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Current
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 05:55:56 pm »

I heard a pretty good podcast today where they were talking about this sort of thing.

It's the newest entry #24.

https://art19.com/shows/under-the-skin

Greg

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 11:20:04 pm »

Thx 2.  Just got home.  Ill check it out tomorrow.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 05:50:03 pm »

Haven't listened to the podcast yet, but my feelings on the monument controversies are this: If we tear down these monuments that some deem offensive, we will lose a great teaching opportunity. Seeing a statue of, say, Robert E. Lee, we can have a discussion about why the cause he fought for was unjust. We can also talk about how he very nearly became a general for the Union Army. We could discuss all kinds of things that, without the conversation starter of the monument, we might never have otherwise.

If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 12:27:19 pm »

The podcast is more of a "why things are this way" than anything specific. It was interesting at the end when the guy said he understands the protesters, as they are just another group that feels nobody is listening.(ie: Nazi)

Money/Debt is killing us.