letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band  (Read 2904 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:29:25 am »

Released June 1, 1967
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 09:29:35 am »

I can't think of a better album from 1967 either, and it's not close...the depth and breadth of musical exploration on "Pepper" floors me each time I listen, but I am careful not to listen to it a bunch...I don't want to over-expose it.

From the naysayers who say this isn't a great album, I get a vibe that smacks of one of two things: Envy is one and the other is that some people are looking back at that time in their lives with some embarassment at their own excesses and link "Pepper" to that. There are still people who blame the Beatles for the drug culture that bloomed in the sixties and "Pepper" seems to be a lightning rod for that criticism.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 02:01:39 pm »

My first memory of Pepper was as a little whipper snapper playing at my friends house and hearing the guy across the street blasting Lucy from his bedroom window. It sounded like nothing else...not even the Beatles. I'm not sure how much time passed before I bought the album...it may have been a few years..but I still think of that day when I hear it.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 09:42:12 pm »

This is the one for me. It has a positive vibe it is richly imaginative, it has direction conviction & colour.

There are 3 pop albums that push all of my buttons, that i can listen to start to finish that are imaginative and joyful. They are Sgt Pepper, Brian Wilson presents SMiLE and Yes - Close to the Edge.

Those three albums are like prisms, when I listen to them I am fully engaged with them and they take me on a journey that is entirely life affirming, just a wonderful exploration of the human spirit.

Greg

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 08:24:27 am »

It's just impossible to criticize this album for me.  I have criticisms of it, but they are more arguments for debate.  And once I listen to my own argument it ends up making no sense.  Part of the reason it is hard for me to state any changes is that I end up thinking, "What?  You can't change anything on the Sgt. Pepper album!  What am I thinking?!  Change Pepper?"

It is weird to think that Penny Lane and/or Strawberry Fields could have easily been on that album if not for a couple decisions.  I would have loved to have seen Strawberry on that album somehow.

Is Within You Without You too long?  I go through that phase for awhile then come back to realizing that it almost needs to be that long, or it wouldn't be the same.

I sometimes think that When I'm 64 doesn't need to be on it, then I think that it is the perfect follow to George's tune.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 09:20:44 am »

And once I listen to my own argument it ends up making no sense.

Wow...that's genius. I may start using that as my personal signature. With your permission of course.  :)

Greg

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 01:48:04 pm »

I think a good signature for you would be:  Once I listen to Greg's argument it makes no sense.

Keri

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 03:24:35 pm »

There is so much to be said about this album, but for now here's a few extra comments:

I now listen to the mono version, I got the Mono box set when the remasters came out & think its a crime that people can't buy Pepper by itself in the original mono mix. Sonically it is just so much more integrated than the stereo, having instruments in different speakers was always an irritation for me, it's like the music has been vivisected. I had always thought Lucy was a great song that wasn't quite right & the mono version they use a bit of phasing on the vocals and it just turns it into a psychedelic masterpiece that I always felt it was trying to be. More than any other album this one needs to be heard in the original mono mix.

Merv when talking about Revolver said Paul was starting to take over on Pepper, while I think that's true to an extent it's not a negative for me because it is still very much a band effort. John's songs are great and there is real collaboration happening between Paul and John, John makes valuable additions to She's leaving home & with a little help from My Friends, Paul's musical motif on Lucy is absolutely gorgeous and his addition to a day in the life is a wonderful sidetrack. Also I think A little help from My Friends is the greatest song Ringo has ever sung, it is perfect fit for his personality & Ringo's drum fills on A day in the Life are genius. For me "Within You and Without You" is George's first GREAT song even if his presence isn't felt that much on the rest of the album. So every Beatle shines on the album, it is truly collaborative, George Martin too playing an important role and it is such a coherent album.

chris

• Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 08:08:27 pm »

I, too, got the mono box. and maybe sgt pepper is the most different for me from the stereo mix. so many subtle little changes I wasn't expecting. an echo here...a short solo riff there...

the only knock on this album is it may sound dated. that is...it sounds like it's from 67. but...since it is...it's all good.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I've got to get a belly full of wine...

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 07:55:07 am »

I've noticed in recent years (especially on social networks), an earnest revisionist effort to knock Pepper. Saying the songs weren't very good apart from a couple of standouts (eg. A Day In The Life') and the whole thing sounds dated.

It is what it is. I've also heard the argument that Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields should've been on there to bolster the quality. I don't buy that at all. Besides, they turned up on what I think is the best album of 1967.. and that is.. MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR!!!  ;D

Keri

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 02:43:45 pm »

I've just started a music blog and my first write up is on Sgt Pepper:

http://kerismusic.blogspot.co.nz/

Cheers

Keri

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 04:19:03 pm »

A fine review, Keri!

Keri

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 05:19:41 pm »

Thanks Merv