letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: A Day In the Life "dream sequence"  (Read 3140 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
A Day In the Life "dream sequence"
« on: November 22, 2017, 04:26:51 pm »

Right after Macca's section of this song, the aural space opens up wide, with a vocal consisting of 'ahhhhs'. Am I the only person who just assumed that was John singing that part? Take a listen....I saw in my facebook feed that Tony Bramhall says that is, in fact, Paul. It's my fave part of the song and I'd missed that until now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7kK66Tgjw
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:35:22 pm by Mervap »
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
Re: A Day In the Life "dream sequence"
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 12:31:56 am »

Nope, I thought that too. It's got a sad lonely quality that makes me think of John, but when you here that isolated it has a wide melodic sweep and it does sound more like Paul.

Greg

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 11:34:53 am »

One of the great Beatle debates.  There are message boards that go on for pages about this.

Im not one to make the claim that I know.  Everyone on both sides of this issue claims to know.

Geoff Emerick claims it was John...and he was there.  Those who think its Paul claim Emerick is wrong because he got other things wrong in his book, so they say he must have got this wrong too.  Those who claim its Paul just state that they know because they can hear its him; those who claim its John just state that they know because they can hear its him.

Didnt Giles Martin say on twitter that it was John?  This thing just goes on and on.

Listening to the isolated vocals is boggling to me. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:14:42 pm by Greg »

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 05:39:04 pm »

Funny enough, I always thought it was a bit of both with all that echo slathered over it.  :P

Greg

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 08:42:26 am »

Yeah, I kinda thought that too.  Id never blatantly say someone is wrong, but I was thinking along the lines you mentioned.  Is there a blend of some kind.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 02:19:27 pm »

Hah, in this world you sometimes have to just accept uncertainty. I can't be sure, for a while there I thought it was Paul. It's funny how a lot of people have thought about this.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 03:26:10 pm »

We probably couldn't be certain if we asked Paul!  ;D

Greg

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 04:55:57 pm »

We probably couldn't be certain if we asked Paul!  ;D

Quite a few authors agree that one of the least reliable sources of info on the Beatles is the Beatles themselves.  I am finding that myself.  When people ask me about my past I will often say "This is my memory of it" because Ive been wrong so many times on years, dates, places, numbers, etc.