letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: I know youve been wondering...  (Read 1323 times)

Greg

I know youve been wondering...
« on: December 06, 2017, 10:39:06 pm »

My take on the latest sexual harassment news...

Im glad its being reported.  Its inexcusable that it has been known for many many years but is now ok to report.

Also

I feel as though this will be a fad like everything else in the news.  We wont hear about sexual harassment a year from now.  Like...I guess theres no more sexual harassment. 
This is going on (and has gone on) in pro and college sports, Wall St., 7-11 stores, schools, etc.  Yet....it seems like its only entertainment and politics according to the news.

This is an issue that should not be forgotten.  Yet...if the past is a predictor of the future, then it will be reported less and less and less and less... 

2 of 3

• Email
Re: I know youve been wondering...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 11:52:51 pm »

I wonder now though if people will have less fear of coming forward. People are talking now. That's a positive thing, isn't it? You may be right about the less and less part. This has always been about power, so how will the powerful express that power now. If they can't use sex, it makes you wonder what's next. :P

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:12:09 am »

It does make one wonder, in the wake of so many fingers being pointed, about the accuracy of some of these claims. I would never try to diminish the suffering of someone who has gone thru this type of thing, but when so many come forward at once, it tends to make me think that there's an element of "me too" involved. I hope that, in the end, we get to the bottom of every claim and that the guilty will be punished...
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:31:17 pm »

Great points both of you.  Everything you guys said makes sense to me.

I also hope that if some woman at a bank somewhere isnt afraid, in a year, that things have gone back to where you will face negative consequences if you report sexual harassment.   Afraid because the media has moved on to something else and wont report when this issue isnt taken seriously by the organization.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 06:36:57 pm »

Sadly, I can already hear a bit of backlash building in guys I interact with daily. Most of the comments I'm hearing are along the lines of, "If they were abused thirty years ago, why are they only coming up now?". Most people who have not been oppressed in some way due to their sex or skin color ( or other ways) see the world differently than those who have. Those who have the upper hand try to keep it and can't see why there is such a fuss going on....perhaps in a generation or two people will look back and wonder why we ever did some of the things we do...
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 06:21:19 am »

There will be a lot less misseltoe at office Christmas parties this year.