letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Local Band  (Read 1409 times)

Greg

Local Band
« on: January 01, 2018, 02:59:06 pm »

We just started a cover band where practice goes like this:

We go around in a circle taking turns who will lead practice.  If I start I tell them what song we are going to learn (Ive most likely emailed the song to everyone days before practice so they can practice it a little if they want) and either I'll sing it or ask someone if someone can sing it well if its not a song I can do.  We spend about 20 min on my portion of practice then I pass it to the next guy and we get behind a song that guy wants.  Its really fun.  Weve learned about 12 songs so far.  Each guy came into the band knowing that its not a democracy; its equality.  If someone picks a song and four of the six dont like it then we still play that guys song.  Then each guy in turn gets that respect back.  For instance we do a Petty song (which I have no interest in doing Tom Petty) but I play it and make it the best song I can and have fun doing it.  There is a guy who is a huge Stevie Ray Vaughn fan and doesnt really dig Modest Mouse but I told him he could play bass on it and Id do the guitar.  He loves it and we all have fun.

My experience has mostly been one guy getting his way in terms of what he wants or two or three guys kind of making sure that songs they like get played and ones they dont like going by the wayside. 

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Local Band
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 05:23:06 pm »

I guess Paul isn't joining your band anytime soon.  ;D

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 06:55:20 pm »

Sounds very much like a good system, as long as everyone remembers the rules.... :-)
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 03:12:13 pm »

I would like to hear audio of this so called "local band"  ;)

No really, I'd love to hear what you guys do.  :)

Greg

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 10:54:02 am »

We have never had a gig yet.  Only know a dozen songs maybe.
I was playing a Christmas gig with a couple bands, so I got our new band in for a few songs in the middle of it.  Here's the new bands trial run on a few songs.

https://youtu.be/oEI92QBqioU
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:23:17 am by Greg »

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 11:19:15 am »

Pretty cool. The Petty song got people up dancing too. What was the song you did Greg?

Greg

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 11:24:58 am »

I sung yelled Float On.  The drummer, who never got to sing in other bands, did the Wilbury tune.  The guy who sung Petty has never sung in a band.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:26:55 am by Greg »

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 04:04:15 pm »

That was quite well done, man! Love the idea of equality in a band.....never experienced it, tho.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?