letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Article: The Beach Boys Are Better Than the Beatles  (Read 1703 times)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
Article: The Beach Boys Are Better Than the Beatles
« on: January 11, 2018, 07:10:01 pm »

This article was linked on a Beach Boys Facebook group and interestingly even there I think the consensus rejected it.

Personally I love the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson, they made some fantastic music, amazing vocal harmonies and some really moving music, but as a band they were the opposite of the Beatles where every member was significant. The Beach Boys success was because Brian Wilson could write arrange and produce great pop music. The rest of the band delivered good vocal performances, but mainly Brian used studio musicians to record the music.

I think where the writer also lost a lot of support where he said of Mike Love's new album; "Without hesitation, I’d say that about half of Love’s album is better than anything either Brian Wilson (as a solo artist) or the Beach Boys have recorded in decades"

If he didn't isolate himself enough with the comparison with the Beatles, saying that Mike Love's poor album compared to anything in Brian's solo career strikes me as perverse.

Anyway here's the article:

http://www.realclearlife.com/music/the-beach-boys-and-mike-love-show-us-where-goosebumps-come-from/

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Article: The Beach Boys Are Better Than the Beatles
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 11:11:57 pm »

It's pretty hard to measure personal preference. I like the Beach Boys just fine. I think they've produced about a dozen brilliant pieces of work. That being said, I personally can't say they come even close to what the Beatles did "in between" the Great Material.  Isn't that what makes the Beatles...the Beatles? Even the filler songs are good. I'm not sure if the writer is sincere or trolling some click bate, but....why does society always have to pick sides with everything? It's all good. Enjoy it all. :)

...except Nickelback  ;)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
Re: Article: The Beach Boys Are Better Than the Beatles
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 03:46:17 am »

Yeah it was a click bait title although I suspect he meant it, a case could be made for it from a musical perspective but he failed to make it and that case would rest on the abilities of Brian Wilson, but then he went on to praise Mike Love who is a musical light weight.

I really like the Beach Boys, they weren't the kind of cultural watershed that the Beatles were, but Brian created really excellent pop songs, a classic album with Pet Sounds, then he self destructed, but then he emerged again creating new music of good quality if not towering ambition.

"Even the filler songs are good"

Yeah when the Beatles were together they were charmed, everything they did was interesting, as a band they were magic the Beach Boys never had that kind of alchemical magic between them, even though they were family.