News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 3076 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Help!
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:25:18 am »

Released August 6, 1965
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:29:52 pm »

Haha...I used to try and sing The Night Before like Paul...could never hit the high notes....Now at 70, the crazy bugger played it during his last tour. Got love the stones on that Beatle  ;D

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:26:32 am »

Now at 70, the crazy bugger played it during his last tour. Got love the stones on that Beatle  ;D
;D ;D ;D

I've been wanting to buy the Help remastered blu ray film, but it's so difficult to find it at a reasonable price here in New Zealand. I see the upcoming blu ray release of A Hard Day's Night is coming out soon - and it will be half the price of Help! Looking at 50 bucks to buy it, compared to 5-10 bucks for your run-of-the-mill Hollywood flick. Madness.

The thing I like about the Help movie - is how it was somewhat put together as a compilation of early music videos to accompany the album. It's been many years since I've seen it though, perhaps not since it was on tv in the 1980s!

The album itself, I feel, is still quite underrated by Beatle fans. It automatically becomes overshadowed by Rubber Soul, which is unfair considering the wealth of great material on Help. So many huge songs on it, but probably my favourite is 'You're Going to Lose That Girl'.. simply a classic tune.

Greg

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:23:06 pm »

One cool thing about Lose That Girl is that they alternate between that Gm and C#m on the chorus and verse.  I think that is such a "Beatle" thing to do. 

For those of you who don't play guitar:  This song is a rather typical 50's cliche song in a sense, but The Beatles put a change in it that you wouldn't expect.  In fact, one of the bands that I recently joined played this song wrong for 15 years.  When I joined I pointed out the weird twist that The Fabs put in, and they didn't believe me until they researched it.

They (and I) still will screw it up at times because a musician will naturally want to go to the Cm on the verses, but that is a mistake because John didn't go to that chord on the verses.

Let's also say this about Help!
United Artists made a killing off of Hard Day's Night in the U.S. because they released the soundtrack. (Although Capitol had rights to issue singles)  Help! was a different story.  I can't remember how, but Capitol somehow made (most of) the money from Help!

It's so complicated.  I know that George Martin and Dick Lester didn't get along, so George Martin did not get to do the scoring on the Help! film...and thus the not the royalties either.

(See...aren't you glad I'm back with these rambling soliloquies of things that I "think" I know?)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:05:19 pm by Greg »

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 02:12:59 am »

It's strange how sometimes musicians choose to ignore the way the song was originally done - they're missing out on some exquisite chord changes by taking the easier path. Wouldn't you want to know how a classic song like that is constructed? I struck this once with a local performance of the Herman's Hermits 'There's A Kind Of Hush' - the "so listen very carefully" section sat on an F chord throughout - and there are so many lovely changes within those bars that it's a shame not to explore it in more depth.

Back to the album Help, I recently discovered the original version of Dizzy Miss Lizzy by Larry Williams, performed back in 1958. Really good! It's so cool coming across things like this for the first time, especially after knowing the Beatles version all my life - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgYWvMJjFBg 

Greg

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 05:40:24 pm »

Oh...those chord changes in Kind of Hush...absolutely beautiful and necessary.

Weird coincidence:

Just last night a guy in the other and I'm in said he wants to do Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You which has some nice chord changes.

This came after we just practiced Clash's Sound of the Sinners, Wailers' Simmer Down, and some Black Keys tune I didn't know.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 09:03:08 pm »

Just last night a guy in the other and I'm in said he wants to do Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You which has some nice chord changes.

Oh wow, funny that.. I've just been to see that 'Jersey Boys' movie and thoroughly enjoyed it. In the bit where they were writing 'Can't Take My Eyes Off of You', they were struggling to get record company support for it because the chord changes were too different and unorthodox! But of course it became a huge #1 hit.