letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Magical Mystery Tour  (Read 2829 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Magical Mystery Tour
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:12:08 am »

Released December 8, 1967. Yeah, I know, I know. Just an EP release in the UK, but we all have the CD now! 
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
Re: Magical Mystery Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 06:08:23 am »

In New Zealand it was a full LP!

This is actually my favourite album of 1967. Yes, I prefer it over Pepper!

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 08:29:30 am »

Yeah, it was a full LP here in the States, but only half the songs were new at the time. I bears mentioning that it was around this time that the Lads began recording a few songs in other studios...
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Derek

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:56:15 am »

One things that has occured to me about this album was, yes it was strictly a U.S. album like "Yesterday & Today" and other 1964-66 U.S. albums, BUT this is a seperate entity because the way it is presented, it's like the U.K. "Hard Days Night" and "Help" (with the soundtrack songs on side 1 and other songs on side 2) It's almost as if Capitol was saying, "see, we can make records like you guys and still have hits on there, look what we did with this one. everything OK between us now" sort of like a "peace offering" i kind of like it as an album. The U.K. eventualy relased it as an album but not until the mid 70s.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:49:54 am by Derek »

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 04:57:27 pm »

A funny album, as pointed out it wasn't really intended as an album. But it has got these songs:

Strawberry Fields forever
Penny Lane
I am the Walrus

That is a really killer group of songs, any album with these on has power, but the rest of the album doesn't support it.

The fool on the Hill is very nice, but after that i find it very patchy nowhere near as cohesive as Pepper, it  lacks intensity.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 01:25:27 am »

A funny album, as pointed out it wasn't really intended as an album. But it has got these songs:

Strawberry Fields forever
Penny Lane
I am the Walrus

That is a really killer group of songs, any album with these on has power, but the rest of the album doesn't support it.

The fool on the Hill is very nice, but after that i find it very patchy nowhere near as cohesive as Pepper, it  lacks intensity.

Baby You're A Rich Man would have to go in that category as well, although it's one of those songs that if you listen very closely to the guitar part, every note is a bum note! It's unbelievable that the guitar performance made it to record. But in the overall context, it works. Maybe they were too stoned out of their brain to notice how rough it was! George Martin should've put his foot down there and demanded a better guitar take.

And what about Blue Jay Way and the title track? Your Mother Should Know? It's all quality stuff. All You Need Is Love. And Hello Goodbye - possibly my favourite Beatles track of all. The only filler track for me is 'Flying', but deserves its place as part of the film soundtrack - and it works as a nice instrumental.

Song for song, I still think it tops Pepper, though it's almost like cheating because it's really the collection of singles that make it so strong.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 07:12:24 pm »

Those songs don't do it for me. I like them fine, they're Beatles, but not in my top rank. Hello Goodbye has a nice sound but Paul was trying to show that he could write a song about anything or nothing and to me that shows, it feels a bit tossed off. Your Mother Should Know is pretty simplistic, I find She's leaving Home a much better exploration of the generation gap & when I'm sixty four for that matter. Baby You're a Rich Man hasn't worked for me, they did a number of songs where they joined together two different songs and I like them We Can Work it out, A Day in the Life but this one doesn't gel for me. Blue Jay Way also feels low intensity. It seems to me the Beatles were messing around a bit on Magical Mystery Tour, that was George Martin's opinion too (Just re read his Summer of Love book) don't always agree with his opinion, but I do on this one.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 04:38:11 pm by Keri »