letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Beatles related movies (Not Beatles own movies)  (Read 809 times)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
Beatles related movies (Not Beatles own movies)
« on: September 19, 2021, 06:11:18 am »

Beatles Biopics don't generally do much for me, I don't think there has been a great one. I liked Backbeat when it came out and I suspect it's still pretty good although I haven't revisited it.  A movie based on a week in their life in 1964 or making Revolver or Sgt Pepper could be good if well researched and an inspired production. But I'm not holding my breath.

However there are two Beatles related movies that I do think are very good: Across the Universe and Two of Us (This I have only just discovered and is available on youtube in 10 minutes sections.)
Across the Universe is inventive in costume , they have melded song and story really well and without mentioning the Beatles they show how their music is so intrinsic to the culture of the 60s, although interestingly primarily reflected in the US rather than the UK.

Two of Us is a fiction and imaginary meeting of John and Paul in 1976, interestingly Paul has said he likes this movie, the characters aren't strong look alikes, but the acting is good and it is basically a movie of a conversation in a single day and it is extremely well written, with really plausable characterisations of John and Paul. But it is essentially a conversation that while it didn't happen something like it should have. It makes it a really satisfying viewing for me.

So my questions have you seen these movies, what do you think of them? Are there other Bealtle related movies that you really like?

Here's Two of Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOGgmsDbx-U&list=PLF51DABD4D28E207F
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 06:13:27 am by Keri »

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Beatles related movies (Not Beatles own movies)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 10:48:31 am »

I've seen them both and enjoyed them immensely. There's enough truth mixed into "Two of Us" to make it a very interesting what-if...

Across the Universe feels more like a fever dream to me, with images and songs poking my brain in a number of joyous places...
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
Re: Beatles related movies (Not Beatles own movies)
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 03:56:28 pm »

Yes I agree "Two of Us" feels like it might have happened or at least it should have happened it's maybe more perceptive and grounded in the Beatles than some so called biopics. Maybe by being ostensibly a work of fiction it can follow the soul of the Beatles rather than having to stick to the letter.  I find it a bit strange that I'd never come across it before.

I'm glad that you like them both.