letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Epstein  (Read 1486 times)

Greg

Epstein
« on: August 07, 2019, 10:43:38 am »

I was just talking with a friend who know a lot about The Beatles.

In brief:  I said The Beatles would not have gone anywhere, nor continued as a band, without Brian's efforts.
My friend said that they totally would have succeeded whether they had ever met him.

In no way am I saying either one of us is right or wrong. I just found it interesting that he thought they would have made it without him.

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Epstein
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 06:39:25 pm »

I tend to agree with you, Greg....Brian took a scruffy but talented group of guys, rounded off the unacceptable edges and told the world how great they were. At best, they would have been local stars, but no American conquest.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 08:02:02 pm »

He never gave up on them.  He pursued every avenue until Parlophone agreed to give them an audition. 
I'm not sure they could have found someone to travel to London consistently looking for someone to give them a chance.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 02:57:09 am »

I have been listening to a lot of Mark Lewisohn interviews lately and he has dealt with this issue and I suspect he is right, he thinks not only would the Beatles not have made it, they were on the verge of breaking up when Brian came along. The worst thing for the Beatles was doing the same thing for too long and the Liverpool circuit had become too small for them. That they got a manager who was so dedicated, organised and honest is near miraculous, getting a Liverpool band heard in London and getting a contract for a bunch of guys dressed in leathers was a big ask and Brian delivered on it. Getting Brian was a fantastic stroke of luck for the band as was getting George Martn as a producer. The Beatles were incredibly talented but they also had some major strokes of luck, getting to Hamburg was another one.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 04:07:07 pm »

The truly are a multitude of "just happened to" events that put the Lads in just the right place at the most opportune time.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?