letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Wings only.  (Read 2075 times)

Greg

Wings only.
« on: May 17, 2019, 08:48:03 pm »

Is there a Wings tune that you consider bad?

I don't have one.  Every song on every Wings' album is good (or great) to me.

Yes...I believe that and have always thought that.

Go ahead and start naming every song on Wildlife.  I'm 100% convinced it's a great song.
Ok...not all of them great, but they are all good or above.

Cook of the House?  Yes...even that.  Good.

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Wings only.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 05:17:52 pm »

I'll review and see how that shakes out....
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 09:44:54 am »

Girlfriend.  To me, Girlfriend barely makes the good list.  I'm probably letting that one in without proper qualifications.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 07:35:53 pm »

Agreed on Girlfriend......also never been fond of So Bad. Of course, that one isn't a Wings tune....
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 02:19:20 am by Mervap »

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 12:14:54 am »

I don't have the albums Wings at the Speed of Sound or Wild Life and I don't miss them so I don't think they're great although Silly Love Songs is.

Forthe most part I sometimes find Paul's songs ignorable but seldom just bad. The Wings stuff for me doesn't stand out particularly from his solo work. RAM is great as is Red Rose Speedway, I think I prefer Tug og War to Back to the Egg. London Town and Band on the Run are excellent albums but so are Flaming Pie and Off the Ground (I know I'm in a minority on this one) Flaming Pie does have some songs that I think weaken the album "used to be bad" and "really love you".

Do you guys think that Wings work particularly stands out in Paul's catalogue? For me they might just as well be Paul solo albums, that's a good thing though.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 09:54:00 am »

It was Paul's fondest wish, he said, that he could just be a guy in a band......but unless that band is The Beatles, there's just no way that will work.....I like most of the Wings catalogue, but I tend to like his solo stuff a tick better. The artifice of "just a guy in a band" is stripped away and there's a bit more honesty in that, I think...

Greg

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 11:39:48 am »

I loved reading those replies.

The question of whether Wings' stuff stands out...

No...my answer would be 'No'.  My views are totally tied to the era in which I heard them.  As a teen all that stuff was coming out, and I just loved it.
It's forever some of my favorite music of my youth.

Off The Ground.  I can't tell you how much I disliked that album, yet there is no reason to believe that it is any less than London Town or something.  However...your comment about your preference for that record has me thinking that I may need to buy that and listen to it more.  I do remember that Hope of Deliverance was a great song to me.  I think I'll buy that record this week if I can get it for under $50.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 10:06:09 pm »

Merv it's funny that Paul said that about being in a band, because of the Beatles it was Ringo and George that really managed to be in real bands. Ringo's All Star Bands had everyone contributing and George also with the Willburies although they never toured it was definitely a real band where they all worked together. The closest John got was Elephants Memory but John I don't think wanted to be in another band and Paul's Wings was obviously not a real band like the Beatles, I'm sure he could have got a group of people together to make a band, who would have said no to Paul McCartney?

Greg, I didn't really get into Wings until after they broke up so I didn't have that experience. Wings in the 70s I think did have quite a different identity than the Beatles, they didn't play many Beatle tracks, but subsequently I think Paul became more associated with the Beatles again.

I got Off the Ground when it came out, The opening guitar is such a great sound, the album is also probably McCartney's most new agey album, with trippy songs like Golden Earth Girl & Winedark Open Sea. It has one of his most hard hitting political song on animal cruelty Looking for changes and there are these Utopian songs Hope of Deliverance that you mentioned, Peace in the Neighbourhood and C'mon people. For me the album flows well, much better than Flowers in the Dirt.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 04:09:46 am »

I think Paul's main issue with trying to "just be in a band" was that he tried to do it in the early 70's.....people were still hoping they would eventually reform....by the time Ringo and George got around to their band situations there was no hope of a reunion, sadly...