letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: RR is Here to Stay  (Read 1274 times)

Greg

RR is Here to Stay
« on: August 30, 2019, 07:50:09 pm »

So...

Rock isnt dead.  Although an argument could be made that it is...or should be.
But it's not dead.

However...

If you were to pick when it died when would you pick?
I wouldn't say it was when the Miss American Pie went down or when Lennon was shot.

I might pick when Cobain shot himself for reasons that are too long to go into.  It's not because they were such a great band.
I might pick when they cut the ribbon on the RR Hall of Fame groundbreaking ceremony.
I might pick when the Pistols released Never Mind the Bullocks.
I might pick when The Beatles released The White Album for reasons too long to go in to.

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: RR is Here to Stay
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 03:59:28 am »

I don't see RR as dead, ever.....it HAS begun to look as though it stays in a nursing home, with fewer visitors coming to see how it's doing. There will always be some folks coming by to see it's being treated well....
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
Re: RR is Here to Stay
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 04:55:05 pm »

So...

I might pick when the Pistols released Never Mind the Bullocks.

I do think Punk with it's focus on ugliness had a perversity that undermined rock music, so it was definitely a starting point of the death, there was plenty of good music created subsequent to that, but I think Rock was most powerful through the 60s and early 70s I don't think it now has any real cultural power now. I have no respect for Grunge, the 90s for me is the zombie decade, rock had died but didn't yet acknowledge it.