letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Ringo & Paul- Grow Old With Me  (Read 1490 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

Re: Ringo & Paul- Grow Old With Me
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 03:36:18 pm »

I like it.  I don't love it.  He sings it really really well though.
Those drums are killing me.

I wish they would have tried to create the same feel and sound as Goodnight off the White Album.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 11:15:53 am »

This song is, as I believe I mentioned years ago here, very special to me. When I got married in 1987, my Aunt Clarice came from Wisconsin to play for us. We had a list of about 20 songs for her to choose from, with me having made only one request: "Grow Old With Me". This was before there had been any covers of it, only about a year and a half after the song got released on "Milk & Honey". I'd read the John had always conceived it as a sort of wedding song, so it meant a lot to me to have it played there. My Aunt knew every other song on our list from memory.....hadn't heard of this one. She had to buy an entire John Lennon song book to get it....this she did. As I am in the groom's room (really just a closet behind one of the church's massive speakers), I am thinking about the step I was about to take, a BIG one! Right before I was to make my way out of the room to the altar, "Grow Old With Me" was played. It felt like I was being told by an old friend that this was the right move, that I'd never regret it. He was right.....

Of course, my eyes were leaking as I went out there.....
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 05:02:42 pm »

Incredible story.
Incredible.