letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: The Bee Gees  (Read 980 times)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
The Bee Gees
« on: July 10, 2020, 06:35:23 am »

I'm just discovering the Bee Gees, I mean I knew them a bit, I had a 2CD collection of their greatest hits from the late 70s period, that was cool. I had Still Waters CD because I had liked the single Alone & I had the first album that a friend had given to me but I hadn't really related to it.
The early stuff is really fun, it's quirky and inventive, that 1st album was released in 1967 at the height of psychedelia when Robin and Maurice were still only 17 and older Brother Barry was 20. At that age you could be psychedelic without the use of substances. All 3 brothers wrote and sang, they started straight off writing some memorable hits, but the early albums are really enjoyable as albums, they had good singing and lost of ideas, their 3rd album was even called "Idea".
They created 10 albums in their first 7 years, throughout the start of the 70s they were losing popularity, but that is still a fair bit of music to explore.
Then in 1975 their Main Course album was their second breakthrough which proved much bigger than their first. Robin and Maurice were still only 24. They recorded 20 albums altogether so it's funny that their catalogue falls so neatly into 2, I wonder if the success and the fact that they were older meant their later work lacked the sense of whimsy and playfulness of the early work, but they were certainly accomplished. For me just exploring their work it seems hard to make sense of their catalogue as a unified whole, but having a band composed of 3 singers, I love vocal harmonies and all writers and musicians makes them interesting and they were extremely successful.
I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of them

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: The Bee Gees
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 05:10:20 pm »

Love these guys! The early stuff has a lot of gems, including the track below. That sense of whimsy and adventure caused some of the early albums to be kind of hit or miss for me, but I always have admired the craft that went into everything they did. Some of the change in approach in the early 70's may have been due to some tension between Barry & Robin....Robin actually left for a while in the early 70's if I recall. I do think that the Bee Gees were more attuned to what would be successful and followed that a bit. I would point out, though, that "Jive Talkin'" pre-dated what is called the 'disco era' and sort of pointed in that direction.

Loved Robin's solo album of the 80s called "Secret Agent" as well, tough it sounds quite dated now. It recalls for me a wonderful time in my early days.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yBgglwAgYA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOlWezPHcWo
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

Re: The Bee Gees
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 10:24:12 pm »

Love them.

That live album from '77 is my favorite.
One of the most tragic things was when I heard Barry say that, when each of his brothers died, he was not on speaking terms with them.

Nights on Broadway. Words. I Cant See Nobody. Love those songs.

We just did You Should Be Dancing at a huge gala on campus.  Horn section, 7 piece band. 

Im so happy to hear we all are Bee Gees fans.