letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Keri's psychedelic Special  (Read 1177 times)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
Keri's psychedelic Special
« on: September 19, 2020, 09:38:32 pm »

I saw an article on the top 7 psychedelic Beatles songs and that got me thinking that there are 3 major psychedelic songs in the Beatles: I am the Walrus, Tomorrow Never Knows & Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (original mono mix) there are I think two other really psychedelic songs It's All too Much and Flying, there are other great songs that are kind of psychedelic but whatever. Anyway from those 3 Beatles songs I decided to create a psychedelic radio show, I put the songs into two basic suites where the tracks segue into one another, it felt a bit like a collage.

I thought I'd share it here:

https://www.mixcloud.com/paekakarikifm/romantic-retro-psychedelic-special/

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Keri's psychedelic Special
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 09:24:32 am »

That was a real treat! Do you do these types of things regularly?
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 05:18:28 pm »

Thanks Merv, I'm glad you liked it. I have been doing a community radio show for a few years, usually I go to the radio station once a month to present the show, it records and it plays a couple of times a week for that month. During the lockdown we did a few shows recorded at home and uploaded, then recently I learnt how to download the shows and put them on mixcloud. This one I recorded in advance as it had a lot more connected songs so I thought it best to record at home, it's actually next months one and hasn't aired yet.

I was really happy with this one.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 06:32:19 pm »

A question arises, though....what makes a song "psychedelic", to you? Is it subject matter? Instrumentation? Intent?

The Steve Hillage tune reminded my quite a bit of Genesis and a little Rush....

Keri

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 08:06:19 pm »

Good question Merv, I think my show was quite different from what others would have done with a psychedelic special as they would likely have been trying to define psychedelic as a genre and all the tracks would likely have been drawn from the time period 1966 to 1968. What I was trying to do was a bit different, I'm not trying to define a genre but to explore an imaginative area. One of the obvious issues that comes up is what relationship does it have to drug use, is it about drugs? I'd say no it isn't about drugs, but the experience of taking LSD was certainly an inspiration to this music, they were trying to artistically create an experience from Ichycoo Park expressed "It's all too beautiful" or from I am the Walrus "I am he as you are he as you are me, And we are all together". I personally think that it is better to experience these states without drugs and absorption in the music can help us to do so. Both the music and the lyrics should express something of a visionary quality. The article that inspired my psychedelic selection included A Day in the Life, which I think has psychedelic elements, but the reading the newspaper about the death in a car crash, has a vibe of resignation and world wariness that isn't psychedelic to me.

I was trying to make the show as a whole a psychedelic experience, rather than be about the psychedelic genre.

I can see the connection between the Steve Hillage track and Genesis and Rush sonically, but it's unlikely I would have used any of their work, you can experience something of the same sense of absorption in their music, but they lack the spiritual intent, I don't see them as psychedelic, whereas I think there is something fundamentally psychedelic about Yes' music.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:15:11 pm by Keri »

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 03:54:57 pm »

Good points.....especially on the Yes music!