letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Question: NZ  (Read 909 times)

Greg

Question: NZ
« on: July 19, 2021, 10:26:59 pm »

Since you don't live here, and actually live about as far away from me as you can get...

What is your/NZ citizens' general opinion/view of the US?

Many, many, many Americans would expect your answer to be similar to this;
"America is a beacon of freedom and goodness.  We respect, admire, and are in awe, of America.
We are thankful that the US is protecting the world from tyranny.
I wish I could live in America, so I can pursue my dreams."

Many Americans would expect all, or part, of that response.

(I, however, would expect most countries' citizens' opinions to be very different than what most Americans would believe.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 10:28:35 pm by Greg »

Keri

• Music from under my skin
Re: Question: NZ
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 06:43:33 am »

Well yes, not quite. Generally there has been an appreciation of the US, the cars seemed cool especially 50s 60s & 70s, some of the movies are kind of cheesy but we like them, some good music.You can't ignore the US. But people aren't wanting to live there, the Health care system is terrible, the gun culture is crazy, the race problems seem deep, not that we don't have racial issues but they seem comparatively trivial. Still overall the reaction is the US is that its kind of brash but likeable.

But I have to say with Trump the crass element just drowned out everything else and it wasn't just that he was a terrible leader, breaking alliances with Europe and being rude to the Australian Prime Minister, but that a sizeable proportion of the population followed him even after he tried to over turn your democracy which we sort of thought through thick and thin you had respect for. We don't want to see democracy fail in the US, it will have ripple effects around the world, so currently I'd say we look to the US with concern, we're glad Trump lost the election but that the whole  population should have had a Watergate like sense of having made a big mistake.

I would rather visit Europe than the US for the sense of history and culture.
I think that's pretty representative of NZ opinion. There are lovers of Trump here but they're rare. The UK looms just as large on our cultural landscape and we have a character of our own here that we quietly value.
I hope that doesn't sound too negative, it's not intended to be, we want to see the US heal.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 07:01:12 am by Keri »

Greg

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 11:31:03 am »

Hey Keri...that was nice of you to take the time and comment.
I am very critical of the U.S.  I believe it is an empire that is very harmful for many people around the world.
There are also domestic issues that are almost hard to believe.
I was very glad to read what you had to say.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 06:01:31 pm »

US foreign policy isn't that unpopular in NZ, certainly there was a lot of outcry around the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, but unfortunately if people aren't directly effected then they don't tend to care much.

It's good that you care about it.