letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Somewhere in England  (Read 2426 times)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
Somewhere in England
« on: March 22, 2015, 03:58:56 am »

This album often gets a bad rap, although George's work as a whole I think doesn't get the credit it deserves. Maybe this isn't one of his very best. Still, I think it is a good album.

Blood from a Clone - Is the critical George, it kind of lurches and has a reference to Frank Zappa and isn't that far in spirit from Mr Zappa's work.

Unconsciousness Rules - another somewhat caustic song, in many ways George hits harder and takes firmer stands than John.

Life itself - One of my favourite spiritual songs from George and Quite beautiful

All Those Years Ago - Nice to hear this tribute to John and with Paul & linda making a contribution. I remember hearing this on the radio a fair bit when I spent sometime alone in my parents batch in Raglan.

Baltimore Oriole - Nice,but kind of sad song

Teardrops - Poppy vibe, quite playful, if with some kind of sad subject matter. Does remind me a bit of George's next album Gone Troppo.

That which i have lost - A bit of divine philosophy, but still works as a song

Writings on the Wall - Sadder song, a bit of a dirge, but I still find it compelling.

Hong Kong Blues - Good story song, bit of a sad story. Good though.

Save the World - Yip we still need to do this.

Overall it's a bit more serious and down than his best work, also the songs don't seem to build that well as an album, but all the songs are made with care and I think the songs are good. It's an album I can respect.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 03:46:11 pm by Keri »

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Somewhere in England
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 06:11:43 am »

This album, I must admit, has not been in my player in many moons. Upon purchase, I thought it was too thin-sounding and didn't feature my favorite thing about George: his guitar. Having pulled this one out (per your review!), That opinion hasn't changed. However, I do think now that the songs are better than I did at that time. There are several good songs here that, with a more updated approach, would sound great. My one disappointment was his choice to take "Hong Kong Blues" from a jaunty four-in-the-bar to a half-time....slowed the whole song for me.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 02:01:34 am »

I'm totally fine with the sound of the album and it has plenty of nice guitar to my ears.

As time goes by George's catalogue grows in stature for me, there isn't a huge quantity but there is enough to register as a significant body of work. George was also seminal with the Wilburries too, love their first album.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 08:55:27 am »

George was also seminal with the Wilburries too, love their first album.

Yes, we should probably discuss what the heck happened to the 2nd one. Not one catchy pop hit on it. Do you suppose that was intentional?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 01:37:49 am »

This is my 2nd-favourite solo George album, next to All Things Must Pass of course. Favourites are the opener 'Blood From A Clone' (GREAT song!), 'Life Itself' (beautiful melody.. lovely slide guitar work too), 'Teardrops' (should've been a massive hit - it had top 10 single all over it), and 'All Those Years Ago' - I too remember it on tv and radio as a little kid and loved it then and still do now. Only many years later did I learn that Macca and Ringo played on that one!

Keri

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 03:16:51 am »

Cool, great to have someone else who admires the album

Keri

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 03:47:42 am »

I just listened to this album tonight and really enjoyed it again. I love Life Itself and the Lennon tribute, but I hadn't realised that Baltimore Oriole and Hong Kong Blues were covers of Hoagy Carmichael songs, funnily enough I had just recently heard Dani talking about George being a Hoagy fan and being completely ignorant of his work I ordered one of his albums, it hasn't arrived yet, but both of those are good songs.

Once again my impression was of a really good album, sadly maligned.

Greg

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 11:40:56 am »

Well now I'm going to re-check this one out!

Keri

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 06:12:14 pm »

I had this album ages back and I think All Those Years Ago got me into it, but I just came to like it, I thought Blood from a Clone  was quite unusual and I liked the 80s keyboard sound on the album. But George loved Yogananda and and Swami Vivekananda as I do so when he sings tracks like Life Itself I'm totally caught up and find it deeply beautiful. If you can't relate to the sentiment songs like that must seem quite different, but My Sweet Lord was a huge hit so it must have resonated with people.

Overall I think George's solo work is under appreciated. Kind of makes sense as he mostly avoided public eye, didn't have a publicist and almost never toured.