letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: All Things Must Pass  (Read 1365 times)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
All Things Must Pass
« on: August 11, 2021, 06:32:37 pm »

I Just got the remix yesterday and I was expecting good things, I was keen to see what would happen if they toned back the Spector on it, I'd like that.

My first impression was bad though. I got the double CD stereo remix and I found that that they'd massively enhanced the bass that was entirely out of keeping with the original, it was intrusive and over bearing and spoilt everything else I might have liked about it.

I'll give it another go but it just ruined it for me, as though it was trying to appeal to today's hipsters that like big bass boxes, but it just seemed alien to the original music. Very disappointed, this was something that i thought in theory was a really good idea, but they went weird with it.

Am I the only one that has reacted this way?

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: All Things Must Pass
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 05:48:54 pm »

I haven't gotten this one yet, though it's coming soon......interesting take. I'll be looking for that....
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 03:56:42 am »

It seems like there is a split on this, some are happy with it and some like myself are not. Maybe you'll like it, for myself I'm stuck on what they did with the bottom end bass boost, nearly everyone seems to agree that they did boost the bass to me it just seems out of keeping with the music and I can't hear past it, it is intrusive, but others obviously hear it and think it's OK, there are of course lots of other differences and it might be that even if they hadn't boosted the bass I still might not like it, it is very different. My feeling is they should have been subtle, just trying to make it cleaner/clearer. But this strikes me as a wildly different mix that doesn't reference the original mix at all.

I am sure you can make up your own mind on the mix, but I'll be interested to know what you make of it.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 02:59:31 pm »

I honestly never thought the ATMP mix needed more bass...

Greg

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 04:40:52 pm »

Interesting...
I haven't even heard it.
Bass enhancement?  Yikes.
I've got hear some of this.
I suppose when someone remixes an album they might feel the need to have it sound different to a significant degree.
That could lead to people altering a piece of music that maybe didn't need a great deal of change.
Idk.
Thx for the review.

Keri

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 09:50:08 pm »

I have the stereo cd version, it's possible the vinyl or 5.1 blu ray are better. This isn't going to replace the 2001 remaster for me.

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 09:23:31 am »

I have now heard the entire ATMP remix. My take is this:

1) There are details that have been brought to the fore that I had never really heard, so there's a freshening going on.....loved that.
2) I was struck again by the amazing songcraft George put on display here. It was obvious he was laying it all out for us...
3) The elephant in the room: Yes, the bass has been boosted.....a lot. What I found even more distracting was the actual playing of the bass. Klaus Voorman is not Paul McCartney.....not a knock on him. Nobody else is, either, but in the original mix, it wasn't so obvious to my ears. There's a timing disconnect there....the bass doesn't "slot in" perfectly....you hear the beginnings and ends of bass notes that would normally lock in with the drummer's bass drum. Paul & Ringo were almost joined at the brain in that way....

That's what I'm hearing.....the bass is distracting, but I can get past it....only just.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 01:25:57 pm by Mervap »

Keri

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 02:50:23 am »

Glad you managed to get around the bass boost Merv, but surely a bizarre decision.

Yep, ATMP has incredible song craft, which is why it is often recognised as the greatest solo Beatles album. Also why I was quite interested to hear it with a little less reverb and disappointed the new mix didn't do it for me. That said there is something to be said for the original mix, it has it's charm.

Greg

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 03:15:52 pm »

I can't tell much from my computer speakers.
Bass does seem strong....and that's a bad sign when I've just got computer laptop speakers.

I wish Olivia/Dhani
...would have let a bunch of producers remix different songs.
...would have put the tracks online (like Paul did with those few songs like Monkberry etc) and let people make their own mix.
Idk.  The pros and owners of the material know more than I do.

Keri

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2021, 04:53:03 pm »

I feel that Giles Martin took the right approach just trying to give more clarity to what was there. I have to admit that I haven't heard Abbey Road as I never thought it needed a remix, but what he did for Sergeant Pepper was great. They must have plans for Rubber Soul and Revolver.
I liked the idea of trying to roll back the wall of sound a bit on ATMP, but this changed the album from one extreme to another, I have to acknowledge that some people liked it, although I find that weird, on the other hand there are a lot of people that think it as bad as I do, so I'm not alone.