letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Let It Be  (Read 3003 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Let It Be
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:15:50 am »

Released May 8, 1970.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Let It Be
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:08:57 pm »

I love how raw this album is....not produced to death..you can hear the band playing. Of course it it produced...best bits strung together...but it works. I still prefer this over Let It Be...Naked.  I don't really have too much of a problem with what Spector did....sure..it's a bit over the top in places...but he did, IMO find the best performances to work with. Paul's vocal on The Long and Winding Road is brilliant....I wish they used the same vocal on Naked....I'd have loved to hear it without Spectors wall of sound. I also prefer Don't Let Me Down on the original also.

Greg

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 09:40:40 am »

This album was a great idea, and they blew it.  Paul's original idea was brilliant.  It could have turned out really cool.  If they had collaborated better and eventually come up with a coherent album to played live...then that would have been great!

I would have liked to have seen some home footage of them coming up with some of these tunes and talking about how they were going to bring this to the group tomorrow.  Then I would like to have them introduce the song to the group. (Didn't George actually do this with one of his tunes?  But you really didn't know who else was there?)

This album is great and could have been even better.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:34:06 am by Greg »

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 09:54:58 am »

Yeah....the 4 of them not being able to Play Nice, put a dent in the project. The weird thing about the movie for me was....how tense the studio footage is....but the rooftop gig looks joyous. I hope the people who complained about the noise rot in heck.  ;D

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 11:08:42 am »

46 years ago on Jan 30. Feeling old anyone(besides me) ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRYth271BRE

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 01:07:47 pm »

I was 2 1/2 yrs old. Wish I was there....
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 04:15:47 am »

This album seems to me the closest the Beatles got to failure. The energy was lacking, there are still really good songs on it though, but I don't pull it out that often. Paul's songs Let it Be & Long and Winding Road are a little bit hammy but still effective songs, I admire them. I don't think John's ones are top rank. George's I Me Mine is quite intense & For You Blue is very low key. Overall though the feeling of the album is quite disparate.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 02:10:18 am »

I echo 2 of 3's sentiments.. love the rawness, love Phil Spector's arrangements, I actually LOVE how disparate the album is overall. And it has the BEST guitar solo on the title track (the solo on single version didn't really cut it, and the 'Naked' version was even worse). It's brilliant. And it has the best mix of 'Get Back' with all the chatter included on it - gives it a real band feel - in spite of the negative undercurrents going on.

Favourite song on the album - well apart from the singles, I would go for 'I Me Mine', or John's 'Dig A Pony' - that guitar riff is unstoppable - the backing vocals could've come from The Band's 'Music From Big Pink' - there's a wonderful raw blue-eyed soul vibe going on there that they had tapped into at that moment.

Not a fan, however, of the 'Naked' release. None of the takes approach the quality of the original release. And I think Phil's production was beautiful and not too hammy at all. If Macca hated 'The Long And Winding Road' so much, why did he max out the NY-state-of-mind horns on the 'Broad Street' version? I love that version too.

Even 'Maggie Mae' is great! 'Two Of Us' is a superb opener. It's all good to me.

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 04:37:06 am »

Don't know if there should be a seperate thread for the new remix, just got it today and have had one listen, but first impression was very positive, it felt very present and it really warms me to the whole thing, I think he's just dialed back the Spector just the right amount and the whole thing takes on a new cast for me. I think this with the new Jackson movie is going to re write how I view this album.