letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Musical Sidekicks  (Read 2559 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Musical Sidekicks
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:23:17 pm »

Two and I were chatting today and he brought up a great topic. We all know each of The Beatles were vital to their overall sound, right? We also know them all by name and lots of cool things about each of them. What about people in bands where the guys behind the leader might not have been very well-known, but equally vital to that group's overall sound? One that Two mentioned was "that guy who always stood behind Buck Owens". I recalled vaguely the guy's name, Don Rich...he played lead guitar, steel guitar and fiddle...plus sang harmonies! He was with Buck throughout his hitmaking days until he died in a traffic accident. Buck himself had this to say about Rich and his contribution:

""He was like a brother, a son, and a best friend. Something I never said before, maybe I couldn't, but I think my music life ended when he died. Oh yeah, I carried on and I existed, but the real joy and love, the real lightning and thunder is gone forever."

We wondered how many other guys we here could think of like that.....I thought of Stevie Stevens with Billy Idol. Idol was never the same after Stevens left his band. Any others?
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

chris

• Email
Re: Musical Sidekicks
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:06:10 pm »

Are you talking band members? Or session guys?

No one talks about Keith Richards harmonizing  but it was a huge sound of the Stones (too obvious?)

The keyboard player and lead guitarist for Tom Petty's band are both virtuosos.

The drummer for Billy Joel's band was a player who always brought something to the table...yet had a unique style himself.

He may not be universally appreciated, but Metallica's drummer was unique enough that the band would sound completely different with anyone else

While not exactly a fan, Bon Jovi guitarist harmonizing was very much a part of that bands sound
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I've got to get a belly full of wine...

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:49:25 pm »

I'm thinking band members who aren't generally known to the public but are vital to a band's sound....your example of Richie Sambora was a good one. I was also maybe thinking of guys that left a band and the difference was palpable. The Who after Keith Moon lacked the energy and fire they had before he died.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:20:26 am »

The drummer for Billy Joel's band was a player who always brought something to the table...yet had a unique style himself.
Liberty deVitto, man that was a good example! Wonder what happened for him to bust up with Billy after so many years playing together?

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 07:59:36 am »

Didn't Billy say about ten years ago he was retiring from the rock & roll business? Maybe Liberty got the idea he needed to get another job.....

He is a good example of the type of musical sidekick!

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 08:39:56 am »

I'll add Paul Hester to the mix. Something definitely went missing with the Crowded House sound and energy after he left the band.

DazedOblivion

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 08:29:21 pm »

My thoughts turned to Keith Scott (guitarist with Bryan Adams for 30+ years).

Keith playing on "It's Only Love": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl8M96wNngQ

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 06:02:22 am »

Both excellent choices! Although he didn't write with Bruce, I'd add Clarence Clemons to the list.....Bruce's tunes would be sorely lacking without The Big Man.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 06:33:05 am »

Didn't Billy say about ten years ago he was retiring from the rock & roll business? Maybe Liberty got the idea he needed to get another job.....

He is a good example of the type of musical sidekick!

Been doing a bit of Googling about it, it seems like Liberty and Billy had some 'differences' going on, Liberty seeking credit for some of the songs.. and he made a comment about Billy's bass player taking his own life and implying that working for Billy will do that to ya. I don't think Billy would take too kindly to reading that!

I did hear a month or two back that Billy wants to go back on the road and just play album tracks, no hits. Similar to what Tom Petty's proposing. I think Billy said that he has no desire to write any new songs, and actually hasn't written anything new since River Of Dreams! BUT, he also said that by going back and playing old albums and unearthing old obscure tracks, they become 'new' again - it's just like playing a brand new song.

He mentioned something about going onstage and just playing an entire album. I guess he would probably do 'The Stranger' if he was to do that, but it would be cool if he did 'Streetlife Serenade', with those songs that sounded so amazing on the Songs In The Attic album (Los Angelenos, Streetlife Serenader). Actually, probably the album I'd most like to hear would be 'The Nylon Curtain'. Anyway I digress..  :-X
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 06:34:58 am by kylenz »

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 05:27:58 am »

One dude whose departure really changed a band's sound was Brian Jones....when he left/got fired from The Rolling Stones, their sound changed. I much prefer the earlier Stones.