letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Beatles For Sale  (Read 3687 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Beatles For Sale
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:20:28 am »

Released December 4, 1964
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Beatles For Sale
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 09:21:04 am »

About the only knock I have on this album is that it was recorded in such a hurry...between/during concert tours. The tunes do betray a weariness, but never sound as if the Lads are complaining. It would have been really easy to sound petulant when all your off days were spent in a drab recording studio, but they continued to write high quality material....not enough to fill an entire album, though. The covers are all good, but I prefer the Beatles own stuff. I the original tunes they wrote for this album, you can really see John & Paul's distinct personalities starting to emerge, especially John's. He's starting to look inward and examine what he sees...more was soon to follow.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:46:55 am »

This is actually still my favourite early period Beatles album. The covers are better than the original artists, and the originals are heartfelt and honest ('No Reply', 'I'm A Loser'), the vocals stick with me for that reason - even after all this time.

If you'd like to hear a charming and very different rendition of the album, check out the '8-Bit' version! Surprisingly listenable if you just want something nice to have going in the background! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC5K4RsJJJM

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:07:57 am »

Looks like there's a ton of those "*-bit Beatles" things out there....it's actually pretty neat.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:11:46 am »

Looks like there's a ton of those "*-bit Beatles" things out there....it's actually pretty neat.
If you ever come across the 8-bit version of the 1970 'Hey Jude' album (one of my favourite Beatle compilation records!), take a listen to 'Rain'. The way they program in the bass line is very impressive, they do everything exactly as Paul played it, even Ringo's fills are immaculately done. Makes one smile, knowing there are MIDI enthusiasts out there that are also Beatle fans and give so much careful attention to detail!

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 09:16:18 am »

Listening to it now....that's quite impressive, for sure!

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 09:18:43 am »

I was sure I'd posted this here, but it's not present....so, Kyle, you ever see this? The bass fill at 1:14 is worth the price of admission!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f7D2_jUkqA
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:20:42 am by Mervap »

Greg

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 11:31:05 pm »

My favorite album. 

I love the acoustic guitar sounds on it.

The album seems to give a clue to whats ahead yet is very much rooted in early Beatles.

There is no weariness in RR Music or Kansas to me.

I love the cover versions.

It is my favorite album cover.  I dont know why but it shows them in a not-so-early-Beatles way yet still early Beatles.

I love Mr Moonlight.  Yep...love it.  So thats where my head is at on this album.  Ha!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:57:50 pm by Greg »

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 09:50:00 am »

I love Mr Moonlight.  Yep...love it.

Me too, especially the version on "Anthology" with the false start!

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 05:50:39 pm »

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 05:13:17 am »

I was sure I'd posted this here, but it's not present....so, Kyle, you ever see this? The bass fill at 1:14 is worth the price of admission!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f7D2_jUkqA

Yes! I've seen this video a few times, it's so great to watch it again - he plays it so fluid and perfect. One of Paul McCartney's greatest basslines (my absolute vote would probably go to something like Goodnight Tonight or Silly Love Songs).

So nice to see all the love for Beatles For Sale here! It seemed to be their most unappreciated album for a long time - I think it has some of their best stuff from the early period - No Reply, I'm A Loser, Eight Days a Week, Baby's in Black. They really were hitting their stride!  8)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 03:11:05 am »

I haven't commented on this one.

This is actually the first Beatles album I heard, my father had had a record store and the cover had gone missing so he'd brought it home. It seemed kind of old when i discovered it.

I so love the fade in for 8 days a week. I find the album the most emotionally engaging early album, BaBy's in Black and I'm a Loser, it's a bit sad.

I actually love the early Beatle records, so I probably wouldn't put it first among the early ones, I particularly love Please Please Me and Hard Days Night. But this album although it's not a major break through I think broadened their appeal. It's really nicely recorded too.