letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Sgt Pepper Anniversary Box Set  (Read 1757 times)

Keri

• Music from under my skin
Sgt Pepper Anniversary Box Set
« on: April 06, 2017, 02:00:21 am »

Since ages have I been longing for a good stereo re mix of Sgt Pepper, getting great sound by going back a generation to the 4 track master tapes, hopefully basing it off the mono mix which I think is superior. Hopefully we'll still get the phasing on Lucy, which turns it into the psychedelic masterpiece it wads always supposed to be. No crazy stereo spectrum with instruments panned hard right and left.

The additional tracks will also be much appreciated, as will the re release of the 1992 dock on the making of Sgt Pepper.

This announcement is definitely something to celebrate!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beatles-prep-massive-sgt-pepper-50th-anniversary-sets-w474974
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:54:00 am by Keri »

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Sgt Pepper Anniversary Box Set
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 02:16:26 am »

Very much looking forward to this!
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:44:00 am »

I hope a friend buys the Deluxe one.  It is too pricey for me at $150.  This does look way way cool though.  The new mixes from the 4-track will be the living end.  Its also cool that they dug up a bunch of previously unreleased stuff.  That Super-Deluxe package would be the ultimate Pepper experience.  Apple is good at putting together some great (and expensive) packages. 

Vinyl, 2 records, is only $40.  I might buy it this summer in a moment of "Thats it.  Ive got to have that".  I wish that some of the unreleased stuff would make it on to youtube, but Apple has pretty much shut down so much on youtube.

Off-topic:  We are practicing this album in a theater on campus here.  There are about 30 of us local musicians involved in the recreation of the album for a concert for the 50th Anniversary Concert that we will have in another theater here in town on June 8.

Anyway, it so fascinating to witness the music of this album in this way.  One example: It is a pain to try to recreate that bass part where Paul messes up (?) and finds his way back to the rhythm on Fixing A Hole.  Its also interesting to see all these really good musicians get stuck in parts because The Beatles had some weird quirk in their song that just throws everybody off. 

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 11:35:42 am »

I read somewhere that the Beatles' music was called "simply complex"....pretty apt description.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Greg

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 06:38:54 pm »

That is a great, minimalist, accurate, description.