letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: A Hard Day's Night  (Read 2334 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
A Hard Day's Night
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:24:18 am »

Released July 10, 1964
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: A Hard Day's Night
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 09:24:29 am »

What constantly astonishes me about this album is that the Beatles began work on it just THREE months after releasing "With the Beatles". A completely new set of songs, recorded over the space of a month, between tours and appearances...and bettered their previous best set of tunes. JL was reaching a peak in terms of quality/quantity on this one.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 08:46:35 pm »

I agree Merv, the Beatles were working at blinding speed.

This album seems like a step up from the first two, the first album of all originals. Ringo's title turned into a song by John also has something endearingly original and personal about it. It's still an album of pop / rock n roll love songs. But it has lots of energy playfulness and is starting to get a little inventive. Clever track name "If I Fell" also "Things we said today" is pushing boundaries. But also there is a good range in their song writing which gives the album contour and colour.

An endearing pop record

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:30:06 am »

But also there is a good range in their song writing which gives the album contour and colour.

Well summed up!

It's such a shame the American audiences got short-changed when it came to album releases like this. The US 'Hard Days Night' is a maddening hotchpotch with poor continuity and no real logical thought gone into the tracklisting. You could tell George Martin and the boys really put much energy into the track order - like what would make a great opening track, where to put the 'hits', where to put the ballads, what's the best way to open side two - The Beatles were the first to master the art of perfecting the track order for maximum effect.

As for the UK album itself, I think the album is great. The only drawback for me would be 'When I Get Home' which comes across as a bit of a throwaway, but one filler track in an album of gold nuggets is a pretty good batting percentage!