letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Jimi Hendrix, Paul McCartney and Miles Davis nearly formed supergroup in 1969  (Read 1905 times)

kylenz

• Email

http://www.uncut.co.uk/jimi-hendrix-paul-mccartney-and-miles-davis-nearly-formed-supergroup-in-1969-news

This is pretty cool. Apparently the call went out to Macca to play bass on this proposed album in '69, but he had gone away to Scotland on holiday and couldn't be contacted.

Sure would've been an interesting combination, playing with a groovy bunch of guys like that. I wonder what they would've done for vocals, or songs? Or would they have all been improvisations/jams? Not really a fan of improvised jams, but if they were fully-realised songs I'm sure it would've been great.

Mervap

• Administrator

Interesting concept, to be sure...
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email

This Daily Mail link has a scan of the actual telegram they sent to Macca as an invitation to join their group. I remember reading discussion about this, and people saying Lennon would've been a better choice than Macca for this. Personally, I don't think John would've been able to contribute much, aside from providing out-of-tune guitar feedback and Yoko wailing. I feel that Paul was the most 'musical' of the Beatles and would've had a better idea where to take something musically and fit in with these guys. Remember, John used to have difficulty communicating with session musicians on Beatle recordings. It was also worth noting that Macca was more arty and into the 'avant garde than the others - so why is it that even the serious musical journalists have a problem believing that Paul would fit in admirably with Miles and Jimi? 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2322603/The-super-group-Jimi-Hendrix-sent-telegram-inviting-McCartney-join-Miles-Davis-recording-1969-missed-holiday.html

Keri

• Music from under my skin

Man that would have been something. I agree Paul would have been a better fit than John, and he played the right instrument. But it is a stretch of the imagination for me to see that line up working. I think there would have been too much ego though, it really would have stretched Paul's talent's as a musician but if it'd even worked for one album with everyone contributing that would have been amazing.

kylenz

• Email

Something like 'Loup' on Red Rose Speedway would've been awesome with the likes of Hendrix and/or Miles Davis guesting on it. One one hand it may be a stretch for Paul (which isn't a bad thing - musicians thrive on new challenges, after all), but then again he would be adept at underpinning a groove and do all those simple-but-nifty bass runs that make it stand out from all the flashy stuff going on around him. It would've been a battle of egos for sure. Like Cream!! I wonder who they would've had as a drummer?

Mervap

• Administrator

I would humbly volunteer.....
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?