letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: The Darling Buds  (Read 2352 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
The Darling Buds
« on: May 15, 2013, 08:38:14 am »

I heard this one in a restaurant a few days ago....it reminded me of two things: How good this band's sound was and how I "discovered" them. I was flipping through channels on TV and passed by the local PBS station and this video was playing over the credits of some show....bought it the next day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PuE0bo4P8
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
Re: The Darling Buds
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:02:00 am »

Great tune. Too bad they couldn't find a more attractive lead singer though.  ;) :P

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 05:18:39 am »

Oh yes!!! I loved this song back in high school, gee I think it was around 1990, one of my favourite tracks at the time. Learned it on guitar too, all that jazz. It was definitely a popular style back then, melding UK indie music with dance music elements and psychedelia, another favourite of mine from the same time was 'Window Pane' by The Real People. I made my high school band learn it and we played it, haha, pretty much so I could play the solo break in the middle lol.

Here's 'Window Pane' - if you loved 'Crystal Clear' you'll love this too :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2OyWJTGXDY

Other tracks to use this kind of dance/indie/psychedelia I used to dig, were 'I Am The Resurrection' or 'Fools Gold' by The Stone Roses, 'Hippychick' by Soho (using 'How Soon Is Now' by The Smiths as a sample), and 'Unbelievable' by EMF.

A great time for music. I even remember 'Venus' by Shocking Blue remixed in this hi-nrg dance style, it was huge on the New Zealand pop charts!

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:19:32 am »

Great tune. Too bad they couldn't find a more attractive lead singer though.  ;) :P

Well, I thought she was hot! haha  ;D

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 06:02:38 am »

Here's another one from that 1990 era, same style, the Soupdragons with their cover of 'I'm Free' - which I think is a million times better than the Rolling Stones original - Charlie Watts's inept drumming on that track ruined it. There's one point in the song where he actually throws the rest of the band out of time by coming in too late with his fill!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVGf3ePIO04

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 06:21:20 am »

I actually went back and listened to the Stone's version, too.....as far as Chrlie goes, it sounds for all the world like that might have been the very first time they'd played the song together, like he was feeling his way thru. Hard to listen to...

The other vids you cited were fab, too....that's the sound that Grunge killed, really.

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 07:07:40 am »

...that's the sound that Grunge killed, really.

Funny you said that, I was about to add in my post that it was right on the eve of grunge when all these dance/indie acts came out! Yeah, you're right.. from that point on, anyone who wanted to be alternative or indie went back to the long hair and guitars and all these short-lived acts like The Darling Buds suddenly disappeared. I did actually buy an LP of theirs, it was called 'Pop Said' and unfortunately it didn't do anything for me, and it didn't have Crystal Clear on it. So maybe, as well as new genres sweeping the scene, perhaps they simply didn't have enough strong songs to sustain success long-term. :(

(oh boy there's some alliteration there for ya, all the sssssss's haha)

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 07:24:36 am »

Found another one from 1990, in the same style.

Now you won't believe this, but this went to #1 for several weeks in New Zealand when it was released.. this is a cover of 'Strawberry Fields Forever' by Candy Flip!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DjWpq8Oyoc

Of course it uses that James Brown 'funky drummer' backbeat sample that featured in pretty much every hit song from 1989-1991!  ;D

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 09:13:51 am »

You probably already know this, but If you like "Crystal Clear", the album to have is "Crawdaddy". It's well executed and sounds consistent throughout, especially if "CC" is your fave.