letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Yellow Submarine  (Read 1924 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Yellow Submarine
« on: March 21, 2013, 09:26:58 am »

Released January 17, 1969
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

Mervap

• Administrator
Re: Yellow Submarine
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 09:27:13 am »

This album gets a lot of 'stick' in most Beatles fan's eyes, at least the original release does. Only a quarter album's worth of originals and only a couple of real keepers...the newer remastered album is far stronger, and the remaster is excellent. Most of the tunes on the newer version are on other releases, but this was the first time any of them had actually been remastered, so I snapped this one up quick. Of the originals native to this album, "Hey Bulldog" and "It's All Too Much" really jumped out at me..."Hey Bulldog" contains some brilliant bass work by Macca and one of JL's finest riffs. "It's All Too Much" is a tune you either love or hate. Essentially based on one chord, it relys upon some fine guitar playing and some of Ringo's best drum fills...this period was Ringo's shining moment in the Beatles' career. Starting with "Revolver" on through the end of "Abbey Road", Ringo showed a skeptical public that he was not just 'the Loveable Nose'. Consistently inventive but never overbearing, Ringo set a standard that, sadly, too many drummers of the ensuing years would ignore, that the drummer, indeed the whole band, should be in the service of the song at hand. Oops...soapboxing again, aren't I?
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

2 of 3

• Email
Re: Yellow Submarine
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 02:03:21 pm »

The remaster is insane. No matter how loud you play it, it sounds clean and crisp. It's all too much....when the drums kick in....wowzer.  ;D

Derek

Yellow Submarine/Past Masters
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:43:41 am »

I like this album as a soundtrack, but not really as an album. it just doesn't mix well. its sort of in a pattern as the U.S. versions of "A Hard Days Night" and "Help!", with the George Martin instumental tracks mixed in there. i always wondered if it would've been a better idea instead of having the "Yellow Submarine" soundtrack because the title track is on "Revolver" and "All You Need Is Love" on "Magical Mystery Tour" and as far as those George Martin orchestral tracks are concerned put them in a collection with the soundtrack he composed in "A Hard Days Night" and "Help!" and add "Only a Northern Song", "All Together Now", "Hey Bulldog" and "It's all Too Much" to the Past Masters collection. i think it still wouldve fit on 2 discs too.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 11:45:58 am by Derek »