letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: Flaming Pie  (Read 2564 times)

Mervap

• Administrator
Flaming Pie
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:10:09 pm »

It seems to me, with a few exceptions, Macca will find a 'formula' that works, that fans like, and he will make albums in that vein and each one is slightly less gratifying than the last...until he's jolted into a change of direction by some force or event. He may just want to take a different approach for all I know. After "Band" we got "Venus", "SOS" and "Londontown"...each vaguely similar in many ways, but mostly lesser albums. After "Tug" we got "Pipes" and "Give My Regards". After "Flowers" we got "Off" and "Flaming Pie"....becomes a pattern for the lad.

There are always transitional albums in there, of course, and what I said IS a sweeping generalisation...

To my ears, "Pie" is a good bit better than "Off"...but is cut from the same comfy cloth, although this one feels more personal. That's mostly because he plays so many of the instruments himself...personal faves on "Pie" would include: The Song We Were Singing, Somedays, Calico Skies, Flaming Pie, Souvenir, Little Willow and the wonderful Beautiful Night. And not that all the rest are awful, but these are on a par with album tracks on Paulie's other fine work.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

chris

• Email
Re: Flaming Pie
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:34:51 pm »

to me, FP began his current comeback streak which...well...is still moving forward. I spent a lot of time listening to this record. both on the road and at home all comfy. sounds like I like this one a bit more than you do, merv. however, I do agree with your BOTR, then V&M...TOW, then POP theory.

at this point in his career, I don't expect him to make perfect albums any longer. but I do expect flashes of greatness. and this album has that. if I had to critique...i'd say there is a bit too much jeff lynn like effects...(even tho I read mr lynn tried really hard to keep that to  minimum)
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I've got to get a belly full of wine...

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 04:24:06 am »

Just a few comments: I love Song we were singing, more than any other of Paul's songs this song makes me realise that Alan Ginsberg was a friend of Paul's.

For me the album is let down by "used to be Bad" & "Really Love You" take those out & you've got a good album.

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 10:55:43 am »

I was so annoyed when this album came out...and I hadn't even heard it yet. All I heard was Young Boy and I was all Grrrr!

HE'S JUST A YOUNG BOY LOOKIN' FOR A WAY TO FIND LOVE. 

All I heard was..

You'd think that people would have had enough of silly love songs.

I know...not the same...but the rhythm was...and it drove me nuts. So being a doofus, it ruined the whole new paul album experience for me. I already didn't like the first song on it.

That being said...it has grown on me...I like all the songs you all like and dislike the ones you seem to dislike.

But...what do I know haha  ;D

chris

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 11:06:33 am »

i agree, 2. while it may not be perfect, I can overlook really love you...because it's paul and ringo ad libbing. but young boy makes me cringe just a little. probably because of it's lyrics (and I almost never complain about his lyrics)
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I've got to get a belly full of wine...

Roger

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 12:15:12 pm »

young boy makes me cringe just a little

yeah, me too. why put that out as a single?

Keri

• Music from under my skin
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 02:16:16 am »

i agree, 2. while it may not be perfect, I can overlook really love you...because it's paul and ringo ad libbing. but young boy makes me cringe just a little. probably because of it's lyrics (and I almost never complain about his lyrics)

I just listened to this album again and those 2 ad libbing tracks should have been on a limited edition bonus disc, they were put on 'cause cds can fit them. Luckily we have remote controls and can easily skip them. But Young Boy is fine with me, i like it, a parent wanting to see that his kid finds love and how he has to stand back and let him work it out for himself, it feels good to me. I also like the way the tempo slows right down at the end with the organ coming in, Paul is great at making changes in songs like that. Not my favourite track but I like it, not a skipper.

With those two ad libs taken off it is still a good length album. I like it.