letstalkbeatles.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Let's Talk Beatles

Author Topic: I’m the same Liverpool kid, Ringo Starr says  (Read 1792 times)

Peregrine9

I’m the same Liverpool kid, Ringo Starr says
« on: June 15, 2013, 12:45:01 am »

The Province
6/14/2013
I’m the same Liverpool kid, Ringo Starr says

http://www.theprovince.com/entertainment/same+Liverpool+Ringo+Starr+says/8527196/story.html
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans. John Lennon

kylenz

• Email
Re: I’m the same Liverpool kid, Ringo Starr says
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:52:33 am »

Starr says the band’s experiences with drugs — he was the first of the Beatles to try marijuana — ultimately harmed the music.

“Substances did come into our lives,” he says. “We wanted to look at what was happening with different drugs. We were part of that movement and some of our songs relate to that.

“But the lesson was when we overdid it, the music was s---.”

I'm curious to know, which songs in particular he's referring to, that he considers to be s---?

Because, to me, each Beatles song is a classic in some way. It seems weird for one of the Beatles themselves to say that some of the stuff they did was s---!! Well, apart from John who basically dissed every Beatles song in his Playboy interview (or 'Lennon Remembers' for Rolling Stone - but I guess that comes down to state of mind.

But yeah, I'd really love to know what songs Ringo would've thought were terrible due to the drugs ingested at the time. Or, what people at the forum think may have been likely song candidates..

2 of 3

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:22:53 am »

I wonder if he meant their playing abilities....because he said MUSIC...not SONGS. Perhaps George Martin is even MORE of GENIUS than we make him out to be. It's possible he made some pretty awful recording sessions into works of art all by himself.  :)

Mervap

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 08:08:32 am »

I think he could be referring to the period right after "Pepper" was released. In "The Beatles Recording Sessions", several of the dates immediately following the release were taken up with long, meandering jams.....none of it was released, but I think he might be talking about that, at least in part.
If love is blind, how will it ever find a way?

kylenz

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 08:41:13 am »

Ahhh, good points!!!

I tend to listen to the guitar playing on 'Baby You're A Rich Man' and I think to myself 'how the heck did this get released?" If you listen to the guitar playing in the second verse in particular, every note is fluffed in some way, bum notes the whole way through.. and they are only very simple G and C chords! The only explanation would be... drugs..